VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   New wheel bearings with extended wheel studs (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/new-wheel-bearings-extended-wheel-studs-302605/)

bumada 07-23-2009 07:27 PM

New wheel bearings with extended wheel studs

I have a 1995 Integra and i'm wondering if i will have to buy new wheel bearings if i plan to install extended wheel studs. I dont know if its possible to save the wheel bearings on the front wheels.

Fabrik8 07-23-2009 07:36 PM

Re: New wheel bearings with extended wheel studs

Wheel studs press into the hub. You'll just be replacing the studs..

Are you wondering if you can reuse the old bearings when you remove and reinstall the hub?

bumada 07-23-2009 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Fabrik8 (Post 5475591)
Wheel studs press into the hub. You'll just be replacing the studs..

Are you wondering if you can reuse the old bearings when you remove and reinstall the hub?

thats correct. i dont know if the bearing get destroyed when its removed.

Fabrik8 07-23-2009 08:07 PM

Oh, ok. If you use proper sized tools to press the hub out, and the bearing is in good condition, it should come out in one piece and you'll be able to reuse it.. You may not have to remove the hub, it depends on whether there is any clearance to access the back of the stud obviously. I think Hondas need to have the front hubs removed at least, I can't remember though.

You might want to have a new bearing or two on hand just in case though.

atmdc 07-23-2009 08:17 PM

if I were you, as much as they charge you to press them out and in, might as well get new bearings while your at it

BentValve 07-24-2009 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by atmdc (Post 5475724)
if I were you, as much as they charge you to press them out and in, might as well get new bearings while your at it

Yup. Plus I wouldn't expect 15 year old wheel bearings to be in "good" shape.

SickEJ1 07-24-2009 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by atmdc (Post 5475724)

^^ what he said.. def. worth it to know!

bumada 07-24-2009 06:25 AM

Well the thing is, there are fairly new bearing. I replaced basically everything on the suspension when i first bought the car such as all the ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings, drive shafts, etc...but i was dumb and didnt think about buying extended lugs. So the wheel bearings are not that old at all.

SickEJ1 07-24-2009 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by bumada (Post 5476437)
Well the thing is, there are fairly new bearing. I replaced basically everything on the suspension when i first bought the car such as all the ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings, drive shafts, etc...but i was dumb and didnt think about buying extended lugs. So the wheel bearings are not that old at all.

well in that case as the person above stated just have them use the correct tools to remove and there should be no separation issues when pressed.