VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   New week, new problem (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/new-week-new-problem-356746/)

ShawnD 07-29-2010 04:41 PM

New week, new problem

So after getting my car "repaired" at harris tire in churchland, shittiest place ever, my car seems to be in limp mode till it is 100% warmed up. They replaced the water pump, a remanufactured one even :beat:, thermostat(without my permission for their retarded price on it), a "motor mount"(the engine damper that was fine), and the timing belt to squeeze out more money from me. Would any of those things cause a problem or did they fuck something up? I am hoping they fucked something up, I like civil court.

By limp mode I mean it won't go above 15-1600 RPM and won't go past 2nd gear and sounds really strained like it is not in drive almost.

SCREECHO 07-29-2010 05:27 PM

Re: New week, new problem

why would you take your car to a tire shop for repair? good job girl.
and I would of burned your pos to the ground a long time ago shawn.
Its that dual bearing muffler acting up again aint it?

nftuatn 07-29-2010 05:32 PM

i know where you should have taken it :D:D

Str8EJ 07-29-2010 05:43 PM

What kind of car? did they replace all of those parts without first speaking with you?
None of those replaced items should cause your car to be in limp mode.
Sounds like they stuck it in you when you weren't expecting it.

ShawnD 07-29-2010 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by SCREECHO (Post 6473262)
why would you take your car to a tire shop for repair? good job girl.
and I would of burned your pos to the ground a long time ago shawn.
Its that dual bearing muffler acting up again aint it?

They are just called Harris Tire, they've been in car repair for a long time.

Duane, I was not gonna drive to hampton on a busted water pump lol

It is a 93 camry with a v6, they didn't tell me about the thermostat, they told my mom about the "motor mount" and she should of called me immediately about that but didn't.

and who the fuck is screecho? lol

nftuatn 07-29-2010 05:54 PM

screecho....boosted_yota

ShawnD 07-29-2010 05:56 PM

still don't know him though :dunno:

JETSWU87 07-29-2010 06:32 PM

sounds like you spent more on the car then what it's worth. Also sounds like a timing issue.

ShawnD 07-29-2010 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by JETSWU87 (Post 6473419)
sounds like you spent more on the car then what it's worth. Also sounds like a timing issue.

probably spent way over original price paid on this car since I have had it. I want to get rid of it but there is literally zero return possible on it. It might be timing, when I cold start it tomorrow I will just let it warm up with the hood open so I can hear if it it missing or something lol cuz i kinda sounds like it does

Fabrik8 07-29-2010 07:28 PM

Nothing that was replaced should cause a problem. So it actually runs properly when it's warmed up?

boredom 07-29-2010 07:30 PM

sounds like timing is off a couple teeth

SlammedScort 07-29-2010 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by boredom (Post 6473580)
sounds like timing is off a couple teeth

Then it would run like shit constantly.

Cyanide Jello 07-29-2010 08:42 PM

Canooter valve is stuck closed

ShawnD 07-30-2010 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Fabrik8 (Post 6473577)
Nothing that was replaced should cause a problem. So it actually runs properly when it's warmed up?

Well I haven't really gotten on it because if something is wrong, I don't want to end the cars life. I will go interstate driving today and see how it accelerates at speed though. But ya once its warmed up it seems fine.

ShawnD 07-30-2010 05:19 PM

Still accelerates from 30-70 fine, idk what the fuck is wrong. And it is burning oil according to my nose.

White Devil 07-30-2010 08:55 PM

I just did a water pump replacement in a friends Cressida (7M-GE). He had all new belts, A/C pulley, timing belt w/ pulley, water pump, and a high-temp therm. Only took two days by his mucking around and not being on time with shit, but we did the timing belt too because the pump spewed coolant all over the front of the engine. The only thing that retards RPMs in that whole setup is the timing belt, and thats if it isnt top center once everything is together.

The crankshaft pulley (bottom front pulley, on most cars) should have a mark on it that indicates whether the cam is at top dead center in the galley, which should be visible by removing the oil cap and the No. 1 spark plug (on most cars). Using a dip stick or other CLEAN non-metallic object, slide said object in the oil hole and rotate the pulley until the stick is at its highest point (gently pulling up while rotating the pulley is recommended so that nothing gets snapped off in the motor). Then check the mark on the pulley. If the mark is off, there's your problem. if you are to the left of the mark, its retarded, if you are to the right, its advanced. (I BELIEVE...)

Another thing that can cause limp mode to crop up in Hondas/Acuras is sensors by the motor which can go bad or have damaged wires that will cause the computer to throw itself into said limp mode. Lots of times this doesnt happen unless someone starts yanking wiring around or tugs on a hose and gets caught on a plug that has a sensor, such as a crank or rod knock sensor, to be pulled/damaged. Splicing into computer wiring for mods can also cause this to happen.

EDIt: another thing. Some motor mounts sit right near where the pulleys are, this is true with the Acuras anyway. If the tire gorilla had to drop out the motor mount to get to the engine and fucked up the mount, THAT'S why it needed replacing. Just an FYI.

White Devil 07-30-2010 09:39 PM

A correction to my earlier post: Taking the spark plug wire off of valve #1 and feeding a screwdriver covered in cloth or a plastic or wooden rod into the hole will tell you when piston #1 is at its highest in the cylinder. Removing the oil cap atop the valve cover should allow you to see the cams as they rise and fall with each turn of the pulley. The cam has to be visible in the valve cover AND the cylinder has to be at the top when the crankshaft pulley is properly marked to bo Top Dead Center. Since its highly unlikely the mechanic messed with your valves and cams, the only way the crankshaft wouldnt be TDC is if the timing belt wasnt properly put on and the cam gears are off.

SCREECHO 07-31-2010 03:29 AM

I just use my dipstick as a guide for tdc.

boredom 07-31-2010 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by SlammedScort (Post 6473663)
Then it would run like shit constantly.

wrong, helped a friend re-do a timing belt on a civic, and it had the exact same issues. the owner would have to floor it to get moving and then after it hit about 2500 rpms, it would take off like a bat out of hell. turned out, the timing belt was off by 4 teeth, luckily the owner had driven all of 40-50 miles before calling and reporting the problem.

phyber 07-31-2010 05:55 AM

just drive it like a bat out of hell on the interstate.

after the wreck, claim the gas pedal stuck.

profit?

ShawnD 07-31-2010 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by boredom (Post 6475986)
wrong, helped a friend re-do a timing belt on a civic, and it had the exact same issues. the owner would have to floor it to get moving and then after it hit about 2500 rpms, it would take off like a bat out of hell. turned out, the timing belt was off by 4 teeth, luckily the owner had driven all of 40-50 miles before calling and reporting the problem.

Thats kinda how it is when it is warmed up. I will be taking it back to the shop and rage will be had

boredom 07-31-2010 06:30 AM

his problem was constant, cold, hot, a/c on, a/c off, etc. how long (many miles) has it been since you noticed the issue?

ShawnD 07-31-2010 06:36 AM

probably under 20

boredom 07-31-2010 07:17 AM

you should be good as far as not causing damage to the head but, i wouldnt recommend driving it if its not necessary, hell id even request the shop pay for towing back to them so they cant claim you drove the car while suspecting a problem, so now they dont have to warranty their work.

runonsentencesftwbitches

ShawnD 07-31-2010 07:35 AM

their site says they guarantee 3 months/3000 miles on parts and labor