Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

New spark plugs = misfire ?

Old 05-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Standartenführer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus
Default New spark plugs = misfire ?

Me and a friend did a simple plug and wire change for 1995 Ford Explorer with a 4.0L SOHC V6 engine. He convinced me that the Autolite AP105's I bought came pre-gapped for my Explorer so I didnt gap them. After the swap the car is having a hard time idling. Sounds very much like its misfiring so I checked and double checked the wire connections and everything seems fine. Could the lack of gapping the plugs do this ?

Last edited by euthorus; 05-19-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue
Default Re: New spark plugs = misfire ?

do you have the firing order correct?
Old 05-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Standartenführer

euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus

Do you mean did I cap the wrong coil ?
Old 05-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Pardon my ignorance about Explorers (ten foot pole, all that stuff) but are those engines coil pack or distributed coil? If they're coil pack, you may have pulled a wire loose or broken a wire where it meets the connector. It's usually hard to mix up the plugs on coilpack systems, so I'm assuming that's not a problem. But yes, you should probably yank at least one plug and check the gap.

If it's a remote coil setup with high voltage leads, you've probably swapped two of the plug wires, or broken a plug wire at one of the connections. Cheap wires are known for doing stuff like that.

It's really easy to pull a plug out, why not just check the gap and rule that out?
Old 05-20-2009, 05:57 PM
Standartenführer

Man this is really kicking my butt. Replaced the plugs again with a new set now using the Motorcraft ones. Checked the firing order, checked for vacuum leaks, using brand new BWD (Pep Boys) wires, gapped the plugs all per spec and I am out of ideas. The engine runs like crap - had a friend hold the accelerator down to keep an even 2000RPM and it kept on pulsing up and down on its own about 200RPM. The coil pack seems fine too - all plugs are now firing.

Any Ford specialized techs around ?

Cliff notes: running fine but old plugs, replaced plugs and wires, engine runs like crap now.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:36 PM
no vtec ftw

BradEK is a name known to allBradEK is a name known to allBradEK is a name known to allBradEK is a name known to allBradEK is a name known to allBradEK is a name known to all

fuck it...put the old plugs back in haha
Old 05-20-2009, 09:56 PM

Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma

No spark plug will have the right gap for your particular vehicle.

What were the wire/plug combo used before?

What does Ford say should be used in the vehicle, platinum/double platinum/fine-wire?

CEL?

Did you test the coil?

Did you test the wires?

E
Old 05-21-2009, 12:20 AM
Standartenführer

Originally Posted by BradEK
fuck it...put the old plugs back in haha
LOL

Originally Posted by Enigma
No spark plug will have the right gap for your particular vehicle.

What were the wire/plug combo used before?

What does Ford say should be used in the vehicle, platinum/double platinum/fine-wire?

CEL?

Did you test the coil?

Did you test the wires?

E
No CEL, seems to be the worst when idling as I still get a decent throttle response when moving. Tested the coil the redneck way by pulling the caps off and watching the light show. The wires are brand new and appropriate gage but I did not test them. The gap was correct per spec on these new plugs which are Motorcraft fine-wire. Going to have to wait till I get home to see the exact combo used b4.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:34 AM
Fuck everything

subhunter is a jewel in the roughsubhunter is a jewel in the roughsubhunter is a jewel in the roughsubhunter is a jewel in the roughsubhunter is a jewel in the rough

I'm not too familar with the 4.0L but does it have an IAC? That's what this sounds like to me
Old 05-22-2009, 06:41 PM
Standartenführer

Replaced the IAC and it didnt help...then noticed that the EGR valve tiny straw lines got reversed when they were unplugged to reach the spark plug socket....

Exploder runs like butter now.

Thanks all for suggestions.

Quick Reply: New spark plugs = misfire ?