Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

new to nissan...veterans help!

Old 12-16-2008, 07:55 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EFOwNzALL has disabled reputation
Default new to nissan...veterans help!

im taking my buddies 89 240sx off his hands, its decntly clean, no rust, has a small fuel problem where it seems to be sputtering at heavy throttle but driveable, its extremely weak and ide love to swap it, ive recently only dealt with swapping b,d series honda motors

i guess what im asking for is a little lecture on the 240s as far as swapping them or a site where that can be found

p.s. would it be retarded to repair the KA and boost it? i heard they can make good power

any help is appreciated

thanks
Old 12-16-2008, 09:00 AM
I Roll Fenders

WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia
Default Re: new to nissan...veterans help!

The swaps are pretty straight forward....requiring only minimal wiring or no wiring if you want to pay someone and they'll send you a prewired harness.

KA-T is fun, I had one in my old car. Building a KA will require ~1000-1500 in parts alone + paying someone to do it properly. However once that is done you've got a long block that can handle lots of boost. With a GT30 or small trim T3/T4 you can have a lot of fun with a KA-T and make more torque and have a completely different power band then a SR20.

Read as much as you can before you jump into anything. Zilvia.net is a site you should check out - you can search and read on there for days on end. There's also NICO forums and KA and SR specific sites.

I guess the biggest thing is what do you want with this car? Something equivlant to a 180-200whp DC2 integra or EG/EK civic just to have a fun little street car? Crazy drag car? Road race? Drift? Answering that can get you some more specific answers.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:27 AM
Registered Member

va240dude has disabled reputation

^+ rep, what he said
Old 12-16-2008, 09:27 AM
Registered Member

shaban shaban shaban shaban shaban shaban shaban shaban shaban shaban

www.s-chassis.com
www.nicoclub.com
www.zilvia.net
www.ka-t.org

all good sites.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

i want it to have a little power, i de love to boost it, but if i have to build the stock motor to boost it ide rather swap it and eventually boost it, i pretty much just want to b able to get it sidewayz easily and for it to be somewhat quick
Old 12-16-2008, 11:08 AM
I Roll Fenders

WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia

Well if that's all you want you could rebuild the KA with OEM everything but ARP head studs and some forged pistons. You can safely make 250-280whp that way...which is more then you need coming from a honda.

That or get a stock SR swap....stock as in SMIC and everything. You can run a 3" elbow/down pipe/exhaust and a intake but you don't need more then that. You can run the stock 10-11psi and make ~200-220whp and have a fun car with more then enough power to learn how to slide.

If you actually want to learn how to drive the car research suspension set ups and spend all the money you want to do a motor swap on that first, that and a LSD (+ wheels of course).

After you do that and drive around on a stock motor for a little while you can rebuild for boost or put a stock SR in....otherwise your car will turn into the pile of crap SR swapped 240s running around out there with nothing but a poorly done motor swap done.

My 2 cents, take it or leave it....I recommend listening to me though.

Also, if you end up having hte suspension done up on the car, and have a nice set of wheels and the car looks good overall you'll have an easier time selling it then you would a stock car w/ a SR swap - not saying you'll sell it but it'll make the car stand out from all of the other shit for sale out there.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

shaban shaban shaban shaban shaban shaban shaban shaban shaban shaban

Suspension; brakes; then engine.
listen to ^^
Old 12-16-2008, 08:17 PM
S14
red box.. c'mon son?

S14 has disabled reputation

Yeah it'll make any addition of power more enjoyable. Good tires too. Oh yeah 5 lug is the way to go if you wand endless wheel choices. There is 4 lug, but not many that are fitting for a 240.

Last edited by S14; 12-16-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

for the time being i figure ill just get the KA running properly just so i can a good feel for what i want to do, but for the most part i just want a fun lil street car, suspension and brakes are def. something im gonna upgrade just because i kno how much more fun it makes any power addition as S14 said......thanks for all the info....any ideas what my problem is as far this sputtering when i ease into the throttle throughout each gear? once im over like 50% throttle accelerating, she sputterss and hesitates, but not 2 bad, but bad enough to be very annoying

thanx
Old 12-17-2008, 08:20 AM
I Roll Fenders

Done a tune up recently? Spark plugs, wires, cap/rotor, fuel filter, 02, checked/cleaned MAF, air filter? Also check out all of your sensors on your intake manifold (give them the giggle test - shake the plugs with the car idling and listen for changes) - especially your TPS because if it has to do with the % of throttle you give it that could very well be the problem. Check all of your grounds, and the plugs on your fuel pump - look for corrosion and loose connections.

Download a FSM for the car....it'll basically tell you how to fix anything and everything on the car.