Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

new belt squealing?

Old 01-27-2008, 06:36 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
honda_huey is infamous around these partshonda_huey is infamous around these partshonda_huey is infamous around these partshonda_huey is infamous around these partshonda_huey is infamous around these partshonda_huey is infamous around these partshonda_huey is infamous around these partshonda_huey is infamous around these partshonda_huey is infamous around these partshonda_huey is infamous around these partshonda_huey is infamous around these parts
Default new belt squealing?

Hey guys lookin for a little help here. I just replaced the serpentine belt on my girlfriends tracker, it was squealing before and was cracked badly, i put the new one on and tightened everything up, but when she turns on the heat, the belt still squeals... any suggestions? Its the belt running the alternator and the fan.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:42 AM
やくざに成りたい

atmdc has disabled reputation
Default Re: new belt squealing?

you sure the belt is tight enough? did this on my car, and the belt wasnt tight enough. i tightened it and it was fine.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

vaiowarrior has disabled reputation

make sure you have the ac button turned off when you are using the head, ac puts the belt under load and if its anywhere near slightly lose its gonna slip a lil. basically what the other guy said....
Old 01-27-2008, 12:57 PM
go topless.

BillMW has disabled reputation

Old 01-27-2008, 01:31 PM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Originally Posted by BillMW
I've never used that stuff and I've never had a issue.

Cheap belt or maybe you need to tighten it up some more.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

look down on your engine and make sure all your pulleys are straight, my offset alternator made my belt queak....it still does, even snapped my belt once.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Means Slow

MABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud of

i bought a new belt and it squeals for my saab 9000. i changed it to a gator back from good year! it cost more but hell of alot better!
Old 01-27-2008, 02:41 PM
go topless.

Originally Posted by Jarrod
I've never used that stuff and I've never had a issue.

Cheap belt or maybe you need to tighten it up some more.
He asked for help and I gave the OP an option. Aside from the obvious belt tensioning, he said the old serpentine was cracked badly. There may be residual rubber shit stuck on the pulleys from the old belt. Belt dressing is designed to silence squeaks, increase pulling power and it actually conditions the belt. It also has additives to extend belt life and prevent drying and cracking... which was the original symptom. Particularly on cold days at startup you can spray this shit on and the squeaking virtually disappears. Reapplication possibly will be necessary, however. Just my .02.

Good luck.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

lol, one time we had a car come into the shop, they must have sprayed at least 3 cans of that stuff onto the belt, turns out it was the alternator bearing making all the squeaking, the whole side of the engine and the hood was covered in the glue-like substance!
Old 01-27-2008, 04:23 PM
go topless.

Originally Posted by vaiowarrior
lol, one time we had a car come into the shop, they must have sprayed at least 3 cans of that stuff onto the belt, turns out it was the alternator bearing making all the squeaking, the whole side of the engine and the hood was covered in the glue-like substance!
Yes, good point. vvvvvvvvv Be sure to use the red spray tube like the example below. Use the shit SPARINGLY.: