Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

need opinion, either turbo d16a6 or swap??

Old 02-25-2006, 12:00 PM
rock ya body baby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES
Default need opinion, either turbo d16a6 or swap??

i have been doing some thinking about my crx and i am stuck on what i wanna do. i was thinking either turbo the exsisting d16 in it, or swap it for a b-series. i wanna see what the d16 would do if i would build it for turbo, but at the same time i want a b-series .. damnit i cant make up my mind! how much horsepower can you get out of the d16 anyways???
Old 02-26-2006, 02:31 PM
Big Dick Playa

King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling
Default Re: need opinion, either turbo d16a6 or swap??

i may be wrong but i think you can run dohc zc pistons in that car. bumping the compression to like 12:1? or more?

then turbo it and run like 5psi. should be interesting.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:32 PM
Big Dick Playa

King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling

also ive seen 400+hp d16's

im not sure if ive seen higher i recall 400 though

the guy at my shop with a turbo 95 coupe with the d16 made 350hp
Old 02-26-2006, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

blu99teg is on a distinguished road

Why don't you swap to a B18B? Then the possibilities are endless. Bigger displacement. Then go with a B16 tranny.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:40 AM
rock ya body baby

IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES

Originally Posted by mark w
i may be wrong but i think you can run dohc zc pistons in that car. bumping the compression to like 12:1? or more?

then turbo it and run like 5psi. should be interesting.
even with that high compression, you think 5psi will hurt it?, i mean damn 12:1 if pretty high
Old 02-27-2006, 05:18 AM
holla

j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3

i think any boost at that high compression would be bad. if you go high compression like that then spray.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:01 AM
www.CM-R.net

CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing

A decent all motor build with an d16 will get you around 140-150 whp.

A junkyard turbo on a d16 will get you a little more.

A built d16 + 10psi will be around 200+ whp and still cheaper than a gsr makin 150whp.

But then the motor will need alot more done to it to safely up the hp. Where the bigger motor wouldnt.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:12 AM
Banned

DOHC crx VTEC is an unknown quantity at this point

Honestly Mike,

I've Had 4 D-Series motors and none of them have put out as much power MODDED as my stock b16 does. I had a D16y8 with I/h/e/clutch and fresh tranny. Kept up with this one integra that has I/h/e/chip ecu. But with my stock b16 in this crx.....I beat him by 2 1/2 cars. In all honesty I would go B-series. I'll tell you like others told me, It's a better platform to start off with and if you boost...you can boost alot higher then a D-series. With D-series...it would take STRONG internals to boost high. If you want a cheap B-series VTEC....I vote B16, Non-vtec B18a1 since its obd-0,VTEC but more expensive GSR or hell get a b18c5 if you ever come down to Norfolk ill give you a ride in the crx man
Old 02-27-2006, 02:15 PM
rock ya body baby

i was thinking about doing b18a1 swap, found motor and tranny cheap and building it up. this is probally going to be my best bet, im trying to stay away from boosting it because i wanna good daily. my buddy at the shop is saying spray the piss out of it, i've never really done anything with n2o so im wonderig what would be the ideal setup for this engine?
Old 02-27-2006, 05:01 PM
Owner

allmotorSOHC has disabled reputation

everyone talks about B series being the better platform and and a bigger motor. more horsepower and all that. fact is we all build on a budget. some people's budget is bigger.

a stock b16 cost about the same as built turbo d16. (within reason). both motors will produce close to the same power(on low boost). power is power whether its sucked thru or blown thru. only its easier to blow more than it is to suck more.

a good choice of parts and proper tuning on a turbo d16 will yield more power than stock b16 for near the same price. to make the same power on an all motor b16 would cost twice as much.

budget being the limiting factor i say built d16 (you already have a start) - safe to 300ish hp on a block guarded d16 with good tuning. oh yeah an option to run pump gas on low boost.

unlimited budget - b16 if you plan on less power now then go thru it later for a turbo.

Quick Reply: need opinion, either turbo d16a6 or swap??