Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Need input on SS brake lines...

Old 02-28-2006, 08:06 AM
THE SMEEESTANATOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smeee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need input on SS brake lines...

Yeaah soo last night i heard one of my back brake pads starting to grind, which is odd b/c i never heard any squeeking or anything, buuut anyway im thinking imma have to be doing some brake/rotor work here soon and i KNOW that there is something off with my brakes b/c FOREVER my pedal has just been wishy washy, i have replaced the Brake Master control pump, the brake booster, i have bled the brakes many times while replacing rotors n brake pads n they still act goofy. Here recently somebody said that the hose was probably cracked or pinched somewhere b/c my ABS resevior is always running outta fluid....soo i was thinking bout trying some Stainless Brake lines. Anybody do this mod? I know i heard great things bout Goodridge stainless steel lines buuut i dont know if Stainless lines are just stainless lines so i guess what i am asking is yalls opinion on my situation. I found these and am checking them out, buuut dont wanna waste my time getting them if they are no good, buuuut like i said i really dont know much bout brake lines, sooo any help is much appreciated!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
THANKS!!!

ps. i did a search buuuut really didnt see 2 much in detail about SS brake lines.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:14 AM
Ghost

MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF
Default Re: Need input on SS brake lines...

Bump for the Smeestinaor.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:46 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

ive ran goodridge lines on my last 3 cars(integra, wrx, and civic) with drilled and slotted rotors and hawk pads, and the braking distance and feel was definitely improved. just the feel of the pedal was alot better cause it was alot firmer and didnt smush as much since theres a ton less expansion in the line. but the reaction of the brakes was where i saw the most improvement, especially when i did the upgrade in the subaru.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:39 AM
THE SMEEESTANATOR

did you do the rotors n pads at the same time as the lines or did you do them after??? i only ask b/c i was curious as to if all that was just from the lines or from the whole shabang...
Old 03-01-2006, 05:41 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

on the civic and wrx i did everything at once, on the integra i did the lines first and it was noticeable but not like oh my god noticeable, but the combination of everything at the same time i think was the reason it was such a drastic improvement.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:50 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

I run Goodridge SS lines with AN fittings on my car. On the street they're unnecessary, but at the track they do make for a firmer pedal and better brake modulation.

However, they are not as flexible as standard rubber hoses so you need to be a bit more careful working with them. They are a rubber line with braided stainless around it. This prevents excessive expansion.

If your master is loosing fluid then you obviously have a leak somewhere... this is very bad. It could be a nicked/cracked brake hose, and poorly tightened brake line fitting, or a pad caliper piston seal that's leaking.

Unless you race the car on a track, go get some factory replacement brake hoses and go over your brakes carefully. If you have air in the abs system you'll need to get it out and it won't come out with normal bleeding.

You can go to a shop where they'll have a tool to modulate the abs while bleeding to get the air out... this is the best way to do it. Or you can bleed, then go do some very hard stops to engage the abs, then bleed again, the go engage abs again, then bleed again. It may work.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:11 AM
Pre-"Crash" Member

growley growley growley growley growley growley growley growley

Another downside to SS lines is that you will need to observe them more often for cracks/holes as dirt can get caught in between the braided steel and the rubber hose and wear a hole in the line.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:57 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

^ Never heard of that... don't believe it.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:00 AM
THE SMEEESTANATOR

Really? yeaah i mean i hadnt either, BUUUT i really dont know to much about em. I actually sent a link of this site to a buddy of mine that is quite nifty with Accords just b/c i was starting to get a bit skeptical about the whole thing. And just the other day he was completely pushing the idea saying it would be a great mod....
Old 03-01-2006, 07:55 AM
Fanboi

^ Again... not necessary unless you are racing and doing full braking from high speeds. Save your money, you will not feel it in normal stop/go driving or any kind of mountain driving... you will feel it comming down the back straight of VIR going 150 trying to slow down for the comming turn.

Quick Reply: Need input on SS brake lines...