Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Need Info On Turbo Setup...

Old 10-13-2004, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
junior1643 has disabled reputation
Default Need Info On Turbo Setup...

Ok from the first moment that i got my car i wanted to put a turbo in it. But the sad thing is I dont know that much about it really. So i was wondering if anyone could give me a little knowledge on what setup I should use for a D16Y8 engine. I am going to be buying all the parts for this setup seperately now because kits are just to much money at one time. So any ideas from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-13-2004, 12:02 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT
Default Re: Need Info On Turbo Setup...

heres the easiest way.....look at the kit that you really want, and if you dont want to buy it all at once, check what parts come in the kit, and buy them seperately........

heres a basic rundown of what a kit comes with, its all in what manufacturer/brand name you want to run and what size turbo and intercooler and piping sizes.....

manifold
turbo
downpipe
wastegate
dump tube
intercooler
i/c piping
i/c silicone couplings and clamps
bov
fmu
oil feed line
oil return line
missing link(usually sold seperate).....

you need to decide what brand name you want to run because essentially its all the same(as long as its not some junk ass company like STONE MOUNTAIN RACING, please for the love of god dont buy there turbo's), the good thing about buying a brand new turbo kit is: all pre fabricated to fit your car, so you dont have to waste alot of time making shit fit properly, its all there and you dont have to worry about what your missing, its all pre tested and researched to make power together, all the parts work in relation with each other...i personally think buying a kit is alot smarter when it comes to saving time and energy trying to fabricate shit, and its all clean fitting, but its your car, do what you want.......
Old 10-13-2004, 12:12 PM

Hey i really appreciate your input. I was thinking that if I "coule buy" The kit i wanted it would be the edelbrock performer X or the open track kit. Know if for the next three months i bought all this stuff how long and how hard of a job do you think it would be to assemble all of it into my car?
Old 10-13-2004, 12:23 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

its not hard to put in a turbo kit, especially if it all fits, i installed a turbo kit and a clutch on a 00 integra in like 10 hours and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING on the turbo kit fit correctly, had to fabricate all kinds of shit, but i had installed a couple before hand so i didnt have to try and figure out how things went cause i had experience with it.........
Old 10-13-2004, 12:27 PM

maybe when i get one ill look ya up
Old 10-13-2004, 12:28 PM

oh yeah what the hell is a dump tube? And will I def. need to replace clutch?
Old 10-13-2004, 12:35 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

the dump tube comes off the wastegate to expel excess pressure, when the wastegate hits a certain psi(unless you have a boost controller), it opens up to release pressure so you dont over boost, and yes, if you have a stock clutch your going to need to replace it, cause its not gonna last very long especailly if you like to hit the 1-2 shift.............
Old 10-13-2004, 12:48 PM

Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma

Yea, clutch and pressure plate are a must. You could go with a internal wasgate turbo for your d-series.. external wastgate is overkill IMO. Do'nt make a cheap kit, make one that works.. no half-ass bs. I have alot of information on the custom build side of things.. no aftermarket support for my baby so I must learn.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:15 PM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

with the D16Y8 you can use an HF manifold and an adapter on ebay(make sure its not aluminum) to use as your turbo manifold.. thats like $75 total.. pick up a used turbo according to the flange on the adapter.. then buy some mandrel bent piping online and an intercooler if you must(you dont need it really if your boostin low), get an FMU or an SAFC for the SAFC "hack", missing link, or uberdata, etc.. some oil lines, guages, and your pretty much set..

If you want a kit, I would recommend the Greddy kit, you can get them for around $1600 WITH an FMIC if you look on the SOHC or homemade turbo forums.. google is your friend, research your little head off basically lol..
Old 10-14-2004, 05:02 AM

Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma

It is night and day with and without the IC. I've heard of the HF manifold being used, but that thing is heavy and doesn't flow too well, I'd suggest some porting and maybe ceramic coating for better flow. A turbo manifold isn't too hard to make, you just have to get the flange and the bends you need.. welder and have fun!

Quick Reply: Need Info On Turbo Setup...