Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

need help with wheel/tire options (as well as body work stuff)

Old 01-18-2010, 07:52 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aggent15 has disabled reputation
Default need help with wheel/tire options (as well as body work stuff)

I tried searching and came up with a lot of really vague explanations, or none at all. I did try searching so before all the "hey try the search function next time" comments pop up I'm looking for legit help after attempting myself haha.

Ok I am getting some new wheels and tires for a 2005 sti. I have never bought wheels for a car before (except 1) so when I got the ones on my sti now I just did the wheelsnext thing where you put in your car and they tell you your options. This time I want to put in a little more effort and planning into the purchase. Currently I have 18x8's with a 35offset. The tires are 225/40/18's and I needed the rears rolled a LITTLE bit.

Next set I'm looking at is rota grids in a 18x9.5 with a 20 offset. I want to bring it a little more flush with the fenders and run some wider rims. I was told that I could run the same size tires on the new wheels and they'll be fine but I just have a few questions to ask before I make a purchase. I want some input from different people/experiences so I'm SURE. And yes I will be on coilovers, and splash guards are gone too.

What I'm wondering is:
-Obviously, what fender modifications will this require? How tough of a fitment will it be?
-Will stretching the tire like that affect the lifespan of the tire? If so, how bad? I know it's not NEARLY as bad of a stretch as some VW guys but I figure it would has SOME factor
-Is it dangerous to stretch a tire even this much? Referring to high speeds(120-130+), hard cornering, etc.
-Does anybody, by chance, have PICS of this setup on an 05? If so that would be REALLY helpful.
-What tires should I run? I don't want to say money is not an option, but I'm def not gonna cheap out...and I don't want something that will wear out super fast
-Any other helpful tips/tricks I should consider.
-WHERE around here (virginia beach-newport news area) can do really good fender pulls. Somebody suggested sage auto but I wasn't sure. Any input would be helpful

This is the look I'm going for, maybe not THAT low, but pretty close.

Below are some pics I found online of what the stretch would look like (not on a wrx, but the stretch is the only focus for now)

Old 01-18-2010, 07:53 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn
Default Re: need help with wheel/tire options (as well as body work stuff)

subaru is hot...i like it
Old 01-18-2010, 07:58 PM
do a da cha cha

SH-IZZLE is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you tried posting the question on www.iwsti.com or dare I say www.nasioc.com ? They have wheel fitmit thread's and should be able to answer you on how much you have to mod. On iwsti pm member t3h_clap. He know's his shit on subaru wheel option's. His website http://t3hclap.com/

Last edited by SH-IZZLE; 01-18-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:30 PM
Registered member

Aggent15 has disabled reputation

yeah I posted this thread on nasioc first but just got WAYYYY too much hatin and "why would you do that" and "that looks like shit" and "another person gonna ruin a perfectly good subaru" and NOOOO helpful replys.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:22 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Those Nasioc guys might be right this time...