Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

need help,what does a spun bearing sound like?

Old 06-20-2009, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
b182boost has disabled reputation
Default need help,what does a spun bearing sound like?

my car started running like sh*t and i can hear a lot a vibration that sounds like its coming from the bottom end(vibrating the dash n what not like crazy)any one describe what a bad bearing sounds like????
Old 06-20-2009, 01:05 PM
Double Agent HT

ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL
Default Re: need help,what does a spun bearing sound like?

when I spun a bearing, the motor stopped running.

I say check the oil, get on the highway and do 100+ in third gear for 10 min straight, should clear out whatever build up you have.....

just kidding
Old 06-20-2009, 01:22 PM
︻╦╤─

DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk

It's also called rod knock because, it sounds like a knocking noise. Does the knocking get faster as you rev the engine (at a stand still/neutral)? Is the volume louder or quieter while driving under load (driving on the road vice neutral)? If you believe you have a crushed bearing, you'll have debris in your oil, so drain your oil into a container that you'll have open access to. Wade around this with a mechanics magnet (magnet on a telescoping antenna looking type deal) or some other worthwhile magnet (those bendable type that stick on the fridge doesn't qualify as worthwhile imo). Did you pick up shreds/bits of metal?

Check your engine mounts too, though the running like shit part. Hmm. Having a shot spark plug/wire and bad engine mounts would act like you describe, since you didn't mentioning a knocking/banging type of noise.

What noise is there?
Old 06-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703

Maybe loose lugnuts is causing the vibration and a shorted plug wire arking makin it run like shit
Old 06-20-2009, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703

Originally Posted by ILLEGAL
when I spun a bearing, the motor stopped running.

I say check the oil, get on the highway and do 100+ in third gear for 10 min straight, should clear out whatever build up you have.....

just kidding
LOL, well i would say do that if you plan on replacing the motor, might make for a good story later!!!
Old 06-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

b182boost has disabled reputation

well,its been burning alot of oil,so i knew it was going to need to rebuild it,and it was knocking too.but last night driving home it started to sound like my lug nuts were loose on one of my front tires,so i checked when i got home and they were good.about an hour later when i went to start it it was making strange sounds that i've never heard from an engine before.it was like a deep vibration, pulsating at idel.and when i drove it it sounded worse.it was vibrating the dash so much that it sounded like it would fall off if i let it run long enough.i'm going to change the oil and sift through it to see if i pick up any metal shavings tonight.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

SOHC has disabled reputation

a spun bearing sounds like a ticking that matches the rpm; if you rev it up and the ticking revs up equally with the rpm, then it might be a spun bearing. its not too tough to check though...pull the oil pan off and you can get at the rod caps and see for sure.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:09 AM
Fidel runs VBPD

The_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by b182boost
well,its been burning alot of oil,so i knew it was going to need to rebuild it,and it was knocking too.but last night driving home it started to sound like my lug nuts were loose on one of my front tires,so i checked when i got home and they were good.about an hour later when i went to start it it was making strange sounds that i've never heard from an engine before.it was like a deep vibration, pulsating at idel.and when i drove it it sounded worse.it was vibrating the dash so much that it sounded like it would fall off if i let it run long enough.i'm going to change the oil and sift through it to see if i pick up any metal shavings tonight.
you are not running on all cylinders... and i mean that...
Old 06-22-2009, 07:53 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Signs of a spun bearing

Significant loss of oil pressure,
Loss of power
Inability to idle without throttle

If you had rod knock before, a spun bearing or a rod out the side of the block usually follow soon after.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:05 AM
Digital Life

83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0

Originally Posted by RandomTask
Signs of a spun bearing

Significant loss of oil pressure,
Loss of power
Inability to idle without throttle

If you had rod knock before, a spun bearing or a rod out the side of the block usually follow soon after.
I spun 2 bearings at once, and my shit still idled.

Of course I sounded like a diesel truck.