Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Need help quieting exhaust

Old 09-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rotaryking has disabled reputation
Default Need help quieting exhaust

I got a prelude, And got headers down to 2.5 inch piping with 2 resonators to a vibrant muffler. It's still pretty loud and I want to quiet it down I was think magnaflow high flow cat and a resonator. Any one have this convo or know if it will work or got any other opinions
Old 09-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Flesh Into Gear.

kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa
Default Re: Need help quieting exhaust

Put it back to stock
Old 09-11-2010, 03:31 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

take one of the headers off?
Old 09-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You're complaining that the exhaust isn't getting muffled enough, but the only thing you haven't asked about changing is the muffler.

If you have 2 resonators and the muffler is still too loud, you need a different muffler.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

what you mean take one of the headers off?

and yea i thought about that but the muffler up there is a vibrant stealth black one and from what i hear isnt that one of the quieter mufflers
Old 09-11-2010, 04:10 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

The header thing was a joke dude.

You can try putting a smaller tip on the muffler. This will change how the car sounds, but it will also keep the air in the muffler longer, making it a little quieter. Basically, the more time the air spends in the muffler the quieter it will be. Another thing worth looking into is taking some measurements and seeing if you can fit a larger muffler in there (remember, mufflers vary in all 3 dimensions, so any room is room).
Old 09-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Registered member

rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166

I had a cheap Thrush muffler on my prelude at one time and it was pretty quiet. Btw your car only has 1 header
Old 09-11-2010, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

lol yea i figured it was just making sure he didnt know something that i didnt lol, there is no tips on the muffler its just straight muffler and ill check it out to see if i could fit a bigger muffler, anyone know how it would be if i just do a cat and resonator combo
Old 09-11-2010, 04:33 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by rotaryking
lol yea i figured it was just making sure he didnt know something that i didnt lol, there is no tips on the muffler its just straight muffler and ill check it out to see if i could fit a bigger muffler, anyone know how it would be if i just do a cat and resonator combo
A muffler tip is just a piece of pipe...when I say "put a smaller tip on the muffler," it's shorthand for "weld a smaller piece of metal to the existing piece of metal on the outlet side of your muffler." Come on man, you're the rotary king, you should know this shit.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:35 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

just go to a muffler shop and tell them you need the car quiet...it will cost a couple hundred bucks...

then there would be no need for this thread,my comments,fabrik8s insight or marlins knowledge...

Quick Reply: Need help quieting exhaust