Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

need advice on tuning my car, what to get

Old 05-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
b182boost has disabled reputation
Default need advice on tuning my car, what to get

alright, i am tring to igure out what setup to get so i can tune my car myself. when finished it will be semi-built an all motor set-up. nothimg to wild, just some nippon type r pistons, bc valve train, probably bc cams(only thing i dont have yet) blox intake manni , mild P&P job, fuel rail, adj. fuel regulator, and still looking for msd external coil n what not. so any way, thats what i'll be working with, now what i want to know is what type of system should i use to tune with . hondata? i'll most likely convert to obdo also. thanks for all input.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:34 PM
tits anyone?

I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.)
Default Re: need advice on tuning my car, what to get

do-not tune it yourself unless you are an experienced tuner. take it to ramey or shue to get it tuned. ramey can install crome and tune it, and shue tunes with neptune, hondata, and aem I think. your not going to really need a crazy tune unless you are running a really high compression, so id just go with crome pro and ramey tune. and by the way, the stock fuel rail will flow just fine.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

Hatchman83 has disabled reputation

if you have obd1 and you would tune by yourself the best way to go is using crome pro/Ectune/neptune. The have the same options as hondata has and they are cheaper
Old 05-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

thanks, thats what i need to know, cheap but still perform
Old 05-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

any one else? and i feel where your coming from "95egd16" , i agree, but the only way i know how to figure out how to do something new ,and gain experience to try to become an experienced tuner, is to dive on in. None of my cars are boosted....yet. didn't followw through with boosting my teg because the whole tuning process is a bit expensive, and i wasn't able to do it myself. so i don't guess upgrading my injectors ( just a lil bit )and bumping up my fuel pressure is going to do much but destroy my converter, burn up a bunch of gas and possibly wash out my rings huh? "
Old 06-01-2010, 05:34 PM
fabricated reality

kawgomoo can only hope to improve

chrome has issues with its idle strategy... its a bit flakey.

aem is wonky to work with, but a very good ems system. currently this is the one i prefer.

megasquirt DIYPNP. cheap. easy to work with. steep learning curve, but then again the same can be said for aem.

at least with squirt you have people there to answer your questions. AEM wont tell you shit.

Absolutely do not believe the "only take it to a tuner" b.s. learn what your motor needs and wants...and learn how to give it just that.

its really not that hard. make a change, if it doesnt help change it the opposite way. tuning is all trial and error with a dash of experience thrown in.

i got my 1st gen on aem running in about 15 minutes after taking it out the box. several days of playing with it, then an hour on the dyno got the boost comp dialed in all the way to red line.

few more short blasts around town to dial in the part throttle stuff.. the car is running good now. it gets driven all over the place.

idle isnt 100% perfect, but its stable. power is low, because NO ignition tuning has been done what so ever yet. only running 13 degrees total on boost.

with this setup we made 420 at 16psi, 500 at 23psi {stock tb,fuel rail, 690 injectors} and went 11.76

all with ZERO knock. not even a hint.

once you get used to an EMS system it opens alot of doors for you....why pay/trust someone else to give your car the love it needs? do it yourself!

Last edited by kawgomoo; 06-01-2010 at 05:39 PM.