Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Is my VTEC hooked up?

Old 11-01-2004, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1sikcvc has disabled reputation
Default Is my VTEC hooked up?

I know this is a stupid question and I may get hate mail but oh well.... I'm learning! I've never driven with vtec before and i can't tell if it's on or not. is it just part of the motor and it has to be running if the car is running? where exactly is the vtec in the engine? yeah i know someone's gonna say do some research but i figure someone up here has to be smart. anyways i've really heard a lot of mixed ideas i guess you could say or just different things that people have said about the vtec's and i just wanted to know. by the way, it's a 99 civic sohc vtec. i know what the vtec does and how it works but i just wanna know if it can be off and the car still run and where it is. and if it isn't running could someone hook it up for me?
Old 11-01-2004, 08:24 PM
Kicking Ass

Brian T Brian T Brian T Brian T Brian T Brian T
Default Re: Is my VTEC hooked up?

You obviously don't know how it works if you are asking these questions. Its a cam that switches. The second cam has longer cam lobes which means more lift. This way you can retain torque, while still having excellent topend hp like a racecar. It should kick in at higher rpms though I'm not sure where. I've never driven a Honda, but from what I understand the vtec is pretty noticable. Probably to a less extent since you have a d-series motor I believe.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

pimpingreen13 is an unknown quantity at this point

on a sohc vtec i think it kicks in at 5500 rpm but i could be wrong but you should notice it cause your car should rev a bit faster than when its not in vtec. The vtec solenoid is located to the left of the head on h series but I dont know if its the same on dseries.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:04 AM
bye
dirt the flirt.

bye bye bye bye bye bye bye bye bye bye bye

Originally Posted by 1sikcvc
I know this is a stupid question and I may get hate mail but oh well.... I'm learning! I've never driven with vtec before and i can't tell if it's on or not. is it just part of the motor and it has to be running if the car is running? where exactly is the vtec in the engine? yeah i know someone's gonna say do some research but i figure someone up here has to be smart. anyways i've really heard a lot of mixed ideas i guess you could say or just different things that people have said about the vtec's and i just wanted to know. by the way, it's a 99 civic sohc vtec. i know what the vtec does and how it works but i just wanna know if it can be off and the car still run and where it is. and if it isn't running could someone hook it up for me?
oh

my

god

HAHAHAHAHHHHAHAHAHAHHAA
Old 11-02-2004, 06:08 AM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

The car will run with the VTEC system not working.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:46 AM
takin it all

HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY

Originally Posted by Brian T
You obviously don't know how it works if you are asking these questions. Its a cam that switches. The second cam has longer cam lobes which means more lift. This way you can retain torque, while still having excellent topend hp like a racecar. It should kick in at higher rpms though I'm not sure where. I've never driven a Honda, but from what I understand the vtec is pretty noticable. Probably to a less extent since you have a d-series motor I believe.

dude you suck, shut up and sit back down.

on a dohc vtec engine BOTH cams have a third lobe which is lager then the others. yes vtec is very noticable in dohc cars, not rally that noticable in sohc
Old 11-02-2004, 07:59 AM
_______

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____

Originally Posted by Brian T
The second cam.
And where would that be on a SOHC motor such as a D16y8 in this case?
Old 11-02-2004, 08:06 AM
Blow Me

Stillpushin is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.leecao.com/honda/vtec/sohcvtec.html
Old 11-02-2004, 08:16 AM
SOI SOI SOI SOI SOI

vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage

when the vtech kicks in it's like turbo
Old 11-02-2004, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo

Originally Posted by vmspionage
when the vtech kicks in it's like turbo
Just without the boost...