Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Is it my ECU?

Old 12-23-2008, 08:24 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDM4US has disabled reputation
Exclamation Is it my ECU?

Hey whats up i have a problem with my coupe. I have a poor mans type r and like two weeks ago it started then turned of on me. I bought this Ecu chipped for the same setup it lasted 2 weeks with it and it was running really nice but then it started turning off on me. I changed the throttle body because i thought it was the map sensor or the other sensor and i turned it on and it reved up to 4 rpm then turned off again. My friend checked the timing like 4 days ago and it was really off so he timed it again. CEL is on codes 7,10,43 throttle position sensor, intake air temp. and fuel supply system What is your best advice? Thanks
Old 12-23-2008, 08:29 AM
Turbo VTEC-E

black6gen can only hope to improve
Cool Re: Is it my ECU?

Well first off start with simple stuff like fuses, loose wires and broken pins if u havent already. Not trying to be a smart ass, just throwin some stuff out there.

I was having a similar problem when my car wouldn't rev past my launch controll setting. Come 2 find out the VSS pin was loose on my ECU so it thought it was at a dead stop the whole time.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Registered Member

Default Re: Is it my ECU?

Originally Posted by black6gen
Well first off start with simple stuff like fuses, loose wires and broken pins if u havent already. Not trying to be a smart ass, just throwin some stuff out there.

I was having a similar problem when my car wouldn't rev past my launch controll setting. Come 2 find out the VSS pin was loose on my ECU so it thought it was at a dead stop the whole time.
Yea i checked everything. Nothings loose. thanks though!
Old 12-23-2008, 10:34 AM
Registered Member

help!
Old 12-23-2008, 05:45 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

My advice (via PM) was to check the wiring, then check the ECU. Having that many sensors be faulty at once usually means that they aren't getting sensor power or ground from the ECU, or the ECU has died. There is always a reason that things appear to go bad all at once like that, and it generally isn't because four sensors actually failed at the same time.

And I ALWAYS suspect crappy engine swap wiring. Always, always, always.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:14 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
My advice (via PM) was to check the wiring, then check the ECU. Having that many sensors be faulty at once usually means that they aren't getting sensor power or ground from the ECU, or the ECU has died. There is always a reason that things appear to go bad all at once like that, and it generally isn't because four sensors actually failed at the same time.

And I ALWAYS suspect crappy engine swap wiring. Always, always, always.
Yea thanks dude! i just checked all the wiring to see if everything was plugged in. Im change my ecu to a stock one to c if thats the problem. But please give me more ideas in what i can do or check. Thanks
Old 12-24-2008, 12:49 PM
︻╦╤─

DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk

Originally Posted by JDM4US
Hey whats up i have a problem with my coupe. I have a poor mans type r and like two weeks ago it started then turned of on me. I bought this Ecu chipped for the same setup it lasted 2 weeks with it and it was running really nice but then it started turning off on me. I changed the throttle body because i thought it was the map sensor or the other sensor and i turned it on and it reved up to 4 rpm then turned off again. My friend checked the timing like 4 days ago and it was really off so he timed it again. CEL is on codes 7,10,43 throttle position sensor, intake air temp. and fuel supply system What is your best advice? Thanks
Could you please tell me the process your friend took to check the timing, I ask because of your comment "it was really off".

You said it revved up to 4k after changing out the TB (just a FYI, I believe it had nothing to do with the TB you swapped out the other with that allowed it to run), but, how long did it run like this?

Change out your plugs, set proper gap then try to get it started again, hopefully it will fire, if so let it die by itself (dont go throttling it or whatever redneck thing to keep it running), then pull the plugs. What do you see? Anything?

What "chip" is this? Were you noticing any symptoms or oddities.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by DeFunk
Could you please tell me the process your friend took to check the timing, I ask because of your comment "it was really off".

You said it revved up to 4k after changing out the TB (just a FYI, I believe it had nothing to do with the TB you swapped out the other with that allowed it to run), but, how long did it run like this?

Change out your plugs, set proper gap then try to get it started again, hopefully it will fire, if so let it die by itself (dont go throttling it or whatever redneck thing to keep it running), then pull the plugs. What do you see? Anything?

What "chip" is this? Were you noticing any symptoms or oddities.
OK I had my ecu jdm gsr. Then my friend sold me his ecu that was chiped for the same setup i had. My car ran really good for two weeks. When it started giving me problems my friend came by again and my timing had skipped 4 teeth. He took the cams of at this point to change them for ITR cams and timed it again. When i turned it on it did the same problem. I changed the throttle body thinking it was the map or the other sensor but it did again.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:20 PM
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

Where is the car located?
Old 12-26-2008, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by I spy Psi
Where is the car located?
Why do u ask?

Quick Reply: Is it my ECU?