VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   My car eats headlight bulbs. (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/my-car-eats-headlight-bulbs-231420/)

Kris.Is.Foamin 03-31-2008 07:31 AM

My car eats headlight bulbs.

Allright, so it seems that quite often I find myself replacing headlight bulbs.

I don't know what it is about it, and I'm hoping you guys could help me out on this one. It's a 94' del sol. What kind of voltage and amperage should I be getting at the plug?

Computer_Nerd 03-31-2008 07:35 AM

Re: My car eats headlight bulbs.

Look at your manual (Haynes, Chilton) which will even guide you step-by-step on how to use a multimeter and it will have the reference data for the replacement bulbs. Look up the part number, it will have the specs. Obviously make sure you are using the correct bulb.

vmspionage 03-31-2008 07:38 AM

You probably have water getting inside the lens

_crs 03-31-2008 07:39 AM

Chk. for wierd grounds or make sure your connectors are tight. If you have doubt use electric contact grease in the connector. If they wiggle around in the headlight assembly they will burn out. Like any lightbulb if it gets bumped around.

B-Well 04-02-2008 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by vmspionage (Post 3987041)
You probably have water getting inside the lens

Originally Posted by _crs (Post 3987043)
Chk. for wierd grounds or make sure your connectors are tight. If you have doubt use electric contact grease in the connector. If they wiggle around in the headlight assembly they will burn out. Like any lightbulb if it gets bumped around.

My two thoughts exactly. If they have too much vibration or get wet when hot they will burn/blow out. Wierd part about his car is that just the low beams burn out.

Kris.Is.Foamin 04-02-2008 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by B-Well (Post 3993709)
My two thoughts exactly. If they have too much vibration or get wet when hot they will burn/blow out. Wierd part about his car is that just the low beams burn out.

One of the high beams blew out last night. :o

I'm ready to throw HID's in, but I dont want to kill those

snarfberries 04-02-2008 08:15 PM

are you touching the glass of the bulb when you are installing them? If so this is bad. reason being is simple. There are natural oils on everyones fingers. these oils now get hot when the bulbs are on. Which will cause bulbs to burn out faster.

If you still have the issue after doing that. then there is a voltage irregularity. that needs to be addressed. IMO those silver stars are a waste. they never last as long as normal bulbs. Also might want to try and use some bulb grease when installing new lights. doubt it will help. but who knows any more?