Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

mugen chip

Old 02-01-2005, 11:56 AM
MSP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MSP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default mugen chip

im just wondering how good is it and is it worth it ,,
Old 02-01-2005, 04:38 PM
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: mugen chip

If you're getting it anywhere but directly from Mugen, forget it. (Mugen doesn't sell chips, only chipped/programmed ECUs)
Pretty much all of the "Mugen" and "Skunk2" chips on Ebay, etc., are just stock programs with the fuel turned way up. And I don't mean tuned, just turned up. Stock maps, just really rich. They also often have the rev limit removed, and the vtec so low that you'll lose power unless you have crazy cams, which is stupid because the program is usually still tuned for stock cams.
Even if you do get an actually tuned program, you have no idea what engine or setup it was tuned for, or how well. Are you starting to see the gamble here?
I have seen real Mugen programs, but the only reason I know they are real is that they were dumped from real Mugen ECUs by people I know. Even so, it's very hard to tell what they were tuned for without being the person who originall bought the ECU.

You're better off going with a program of known origin, setup for YOUR car and YOUR mods. Plus, paying $50 on Ebay for a fake chip that cost someone $3 is a ripoff.
I can chip your ECU for you if you need, but I'm not trying to sell you something here, just making sure you don't get ripped off.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 02-01-2005 at 04:41 PM.