Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

msd/spark issue car wont start (weird!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Old 08-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sweethatch1866 has disabled reputation
Default msd/spark issue car wont start (weird!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Ok I got another dawm issue. 92 civic with full msd and s300. b20vtec engine. I drove the car up the road and it cut off. Tried to start is and got nothing. left it alone for a day and it started, i cut it off now I have the same issue. It has a new full msd so I checked the coil and it's good. I sprayed starting fluid in the intake and it wouldnt hit at all. That tells me Im not getting spark to the plugs but If I pull them out and ground the plug to the header they do spark. Its like they are not sparking when they are in the head. I tried running a extra ground from the battery to the engine and it didnt work. correct me if im wrong but if the plugs are sparking it should at least hit with starting fluid
Old 08-28-2011, 12:15 PM
RIP Chris Schader

g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x
Default Re: msd/spark issue car wont start (weird!!!!!!!!!!!!)

MSD = My Spark Dissapeared
try bypassing the MSD
Old 08-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Registered member

In other words put the stock dizzy back on it?
Old 08-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Registered member

the msd is putting spark out tho.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:24 PM
i pooped a squirrel

Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes

You don't need an msd system in the first place. Take it off and put the stock one back on
Old 08-28-2011, 05:34 PM
Registered member

I think I should be running msd with my build correct me if im wrong. 87mm b20 block fully built, b16 head fully built, 1000cc injectors, p-6262 turbo 25psi, pro 1 cams, ect. everything else is fully built to go with it. Everyone say msd does not create more horsepower but if it creates more spark in return letting the engine run smoother and cleaner it will produce more power. Im reading alot of negetive things about msd but I have already spent $500 in the system so I want to rule it out 100% before I do away with it. Does anyone know anything else that will cause the car to flat out not start. It acts like a ground but the one on the thermastat, valve cover as well as an extra one is hooked up. If the main relay was bad the fuel pump wouldnt come on. I tried the ecu in another car and it ran fine. It makes no since the plugs are firing when ground anywhere besides where the screw in. The only other thing is the cel. since the first day I pluged in my ecu it threw a code 14 (icav), cant get it to go out everything checks out. now it wont throw anything. I have the two wires crossed to pull the codes but the cel just stays solid. I cant use the s300 to check the code without the car running. All my fuses are good, Its got to be something simple. The iacv wont cause it not to start at all will it????????????????????????
Old 08-28-2011, 07:10 PM
i pooped a squirrel

Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes

Those are thing we need to know lol. So any idea what power you are making? Second, give the stock system a shot solely for diagnostic purposes. Ive never personally messed with msd systems but from everything I've read and heard on them they cause more problems than they are worth, and they can be tricky to setup.

If you ever decide to switch ignition systems you could give a COP system a try. AEM sells a conversion kit that has gotten good reviews. Sheepey (if you know who that is) used one on his old eg drag car. Made a consistent 800 to the wheels and ran like butter
Old 08-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Registered member

I will try the stock dizzy if i can find one. if i run my pos. and neg wires from my gutted dizzy to the msd external coil it should work just like the internal coil, correct? the dizzy im running with the msd still has the stock pickup module.

Crnchy wen Blac i should be able to get 650 hp with out an issue.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:39 AM
Registered member

wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright

You do not need MSD control box at all I have only the MSD coil. I do have the MSD box for two step, but other than the coil the control box is not needed. I had the upgrade to the SCI MSD unit in my street car and I had nothing but issues with it and I am now running the stock distributor and it is running just fine.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:57 AM
Registered member

do you wire just the coil in the way I described?

Quick Reply: msd/spark issue car wont start (weird!!!!!!!!!!!!)