Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

MSD coil on stock ignition?

Old 04-12-2009, 07:37 AM
ATGATT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike
Default MSD coil on stock ignition?

Dyno day didn't make the numbers I was hoping for. It was noted that even when the A/F ratio is correct, my exhaust smells. I found a guy in europe who did a similar conversion to the one I did and he noted he had to change the coil to one from a later car because the stock early coil (like mine is) was putting a lot of hydrocarbons out the tailpipe and that stopped as soon as he changed the coil.

The later coil he's talking about is $100. An MSD Blaster 2 is $35. I was planning to go to an MSD setup eventually, but if the coil is holding me back I want to change that pronto. Can I use an MSD coil with my stock magnetic pickup distributor setup, or do I need to waste money on the later factory coil?

Last edited by marlinspike; 04-12-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:45 AM
I Love to Hate

B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well
Default Re: MSD coil on stock exhaust?

Originally Posted by marlinspike
Dyno day didn't make the numbers I was hoping for. It was noted that even when the A/F ratio is correct, my exhaust smells. I found a guy in europe who did a similar conversion to the one I did and he noted he had to change the coil to one from a later car because the stock early coil (like mine is) was putting a lot of hydrocarbons out the tailpipe and that stopped as soon as he changed the coil.

The later coil he's talking about is $100. An MSD Blaster 2 is $35. I was planning to go to an MSD setup eventually, but if the coil is holding me back I want to change that pronto. Can I use an MSD coil with my stock magnetic pickup distributor setup, or do I need to waste money on the later factory coil?
you assume everyone knows what vehicle and such you are running.

At least give a basis for someone to come in and help with.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:15 AM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Why would I say stock exhaust? WTF is wrong with me? I meant to say stock ignition...

The reason I don't say the car I'm using because it won't help, nobody will know anything about it. Magnetic pick up star wheel in the distributor...some 80s bosch electronic ignition, that's about all I know.

It's the ignition system off of a 1981-1985 Mercedes 380/500 w126. See, that helps you not at all.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Registered Member

radiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond repute

type of engine /car and what fuel your running will still help to know. i really dont know what your trying to ask but i guarentee you a MSD coil puts out more than any stock coil from a late 80 style 80's ignition lol so i say go with the cheaper msd. but like i said thats a educated guess without knowing exactly what your trying to ask

Last edited by radiaki11; 04-12-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:56 AM
ATGATT

Well what I'm asking is can I just attach the wires to the MSD coil and be good to go, or is there some reason the MSD coil won't work with my ignition? The Blaster 2 looks just like the coil in there now if that means anything.

The engine is basically a euro Mercedes 560 (M117 aluminum block, 5.6 liter v8) with the high compression (10:1) pistons and reground cams. Bosch CIS K-Jetronic injection minus the O2s and any other electronic correction, with the addition of a laptop mappable warm up regulator (warm up regulator regulates the control pressure even after warm up).

Last edited by marlinspike; 04-12-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

radiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond repute

well yes you can run the blaster 2 just hook up the appropriate wires but you have to have a distributor cap made for any external coil
Old 04-12-2009, 11:56 AM
ATGATT

Yeah, my current set up uses an external coil, so I guess I'm good to go. Sweet.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

yes your good just connect the two wire's to the coil , and run the spark wire from the coil to the dizzy cap and ride lol
Old 04-12-2009, 01:16 PM
ATGATT

Any place that would have this in the 757, or do I need to order it online?
Old 04-12-2009, 02:49 PM

tatmonster has disabled reputation
Default Re: MSD coil on stock ignition?

any Advance Auto parts store should have those coils in stock, they are easy to come by

Quick Reply: MSD coil on stock ignition?