Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

mr2 questions...

Old 06-22-2005, 08:00 PM
WARNING2448

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TheGame04 has disabled reputation
Default mr2 questions...

does anyone know if the 3rd gen 3sgte is a straight drop in a 91 mR2 turbo... if so is it a good engine to get or should i just rebuild the 91 or just get another low mileage one and mod it... dunno what to do...i'm guessing the 3rd gen would be better since it has 245 hp compared to the 91 which has 200 hp, but what can i use normal 91 parts to fix it if something happens to the 3rd gen.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:04 PM
1992 Toyota Slowica

xeril has disabled reputation
Default Re: mr2 questions...

from what i've heard, the 2nd gen 3sgte is the best engine to mod. i think the 3rd gen 3sgte is map sensored too. if you wanted, you could just plug in a jdm 3sgte ecu and rewire the egr system (if you even have to do that..) and you'd gain like 20whp.

but yeah, the 3rd gen is a straight drop.. you'd just have to get a new wiring harness and stuffs. just go with the rebuild!
Old 06-24-2005, 08:45 PM
PJ2
Registered Member

PJ2

The 3rd gen is by far the best engine, it has a small port head, higher compression, no TVIS, better internals, better turbo and better electronics. It's much better to get a whole clip and swap everything including ECU, harness and tranny or you will defeat the purpose of doing the 3rd gen swap. Go to www.mr2oc.com and look/ask in the MK2 turbo section, everything you may want to know is there. Good luck with the project.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:25 PM
Registered Member

TheDarkMajestic has a reputation beyond reputeTheDarkMajestic has a reputation beyond reputeTheDarkMajestic has a reputation beyond reputeTheDarkMajestic has a reputation beyond reputeTheDarkMajestic has a reputation beyond reputeTheDarkMajestic has a reputation beyond reputeTheDarkMajestic has a reputation beyond reputeTheDarkMajestic has a reputation beyond reputeTheDarkMajestic has a reputation beyond reputeTheDarkMajestic has a reputation beyond reputeTheDarkMajestic has a reputation beyond repute

The 3rd gen is a straight drop besides the wiring , i know a guy in Va beach that will do the whole swap. www.noshoesspeedworks.com
Old 06-30-2005, 09:11 PM
I Piss Excellence

Shive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PJ2
The 3rd gen is by far the best engine, it has a small port head, higher compression, no TVIS, better internals, better turbo and better electronics. It's much better to get a whole clip and swap everything including ECU, harness and tranny or you will defeat the purpose of doing the 3rd gen swap. Go to www.mr2oc.com and look/ask in the MK2 turbo section, everything you may want to know is there. Good luck with the project.
I disagree. The 3rd Gen engine is definately NOT by far the best engine. The block is so much weaker than the 2nd Gen. The extra goodies may be better stock for stock, but in the end, the 2nd gen block will hold up much better than the 3rd Gen.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:56 AM
still alive

gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele

what about the third gen suspension geometry being better than previous generations. i know some people end up swapping everything when the get a 3rd gen clip.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:47 AM
I Piss Excellence

Shive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gpeele
what about the third gen suspension geometry being better than previous generations. i know some people end up swapping everything when the get a 3rd gen clip.
Why swap over the suspension? Just get a full coilover setup... But yes, stock 3rd Gen suspension is supposively better. But there are also alot that strongly believe the stock 2nd Gen is better.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:23 PM
still alive

gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele

supposedly they changed the actual geometry of the suspension in the rear, not just the shock dampening and spring rates, so that the car is more stable.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:47 AM
Registered Member

Xyxyll is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Red Hot EX
I disagree. The 3rd Gen engine is definately NOT by far the best engine. The block is so much weaker than the 2nd Gen. The extra goodies may be better stock for stock, but in the end, the 2nd gen block will hold up much better than the 3rd Gen.
Was about to say the same thing.

It's basically an upgraded 2nd gen with a weaker block. Put the same electronics and turbo on a 2nd gen and it's basically the same but much stronger.

We actually had a big discussion about this at one of the MR2 meets.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:20 AM
PJ2
Registered Member

PJ2

Originally Posted by Xyxyll
Was about to say the same thing.

It's basically an upgraded 2nd gen with a weaker block. Put the same electronics and turbo on a 2nd gen and it's basically the same but much stronger.

We actually had a big discussion about this at one of the MR2 meets.
The early 3rd gen blocks (some of them) and even some of the 2nd gen blocks had the same problem which was small casting diferences on the cylinder walls (some were meassured to be .010"-.020 " thinner) the only failures documented have been on motors making well over 550hp with very high boost levels so I personally don't think that is an issue. Can you make the same power with the 2nd gen? Sure, it's even cheaper to make more power with the 2nd because the aftermarket support is plenty and easy to find here in the US. But with no doubt, stock engine vs stock engine, the 3rd gen is a much better package.

Last edited by PJ2; 07-02-2005 at 11:00 AM.

Quick Reply: mr2 questions...