Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Mr2 (aw11) Speedo Fix?

Old 02-26-2009, 10:56 PM
Shortbus never came.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway
Default Mr2 (aw11) Speedo Fix?

I'm thinking about picking up an old 87 AW11 and it failed inspection for a bunch of things so it'll be sitting aside for a while while it gets exhaust, tires, and a steering rack.

I'd like to get the speedo fixed to avoid a speeding ticket. The speedo seems to fly all over the place as you drive over 45MPH. I need to be driving 65 to work daily and the needle would be buried at top speed at that point, so I'd like to get that fixed since local cops are not that much fun.

I believe this is a common problem for mid to late 80s MR2s.

Does anyone know if there's a simple fix for this? Or do I need a new gauge cluster or what?

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2009, 09:40 AM
PJ2
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PJ2
Default Re: Mr2 (aw11) Speedo Fix?

It is not a common problem on the MK1 but it sounds like the cable is binding up. Try pulling the cable out of the jacket and lubricating it first, a new OEM one is going to cost about $150.