Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Motor Locked Up???

Old 04-11-2009, 10:34 PM
:Uses Ninja-Focus:

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath
Default Motor Locked Up???

Ok i was leaving my girls house kinda pissed off took off in 1st... then shifted thru 2nd and 3rd and went to put it in 4th at about 6k RPMS n it was a pretty loud noise and started smoking and cut off.. thought it was the timing belt but thats fine.. checked the oil n its dry as fuck.. motor was leaking rediculous so i'm guessing its locked up but never had one do that. Can't start it or pop the clutch so my guess is its locked up. My question is is there any way to free it back up and whats usually the damage on a locked up motor...

-96' DC JDM B20B swap.
Thanks.

Edit: im not even sure its locked up.. i went to shift into 4th and it grinded kinda and there was a loud thump sound. The smoke smelled weird it wasnt clutch or burnt oil it was something i've never smelled before.??

Last edited by JDMtoDeath; 04-11-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

radiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Motor Locked Up???

have you checked to make sure you didnt throw a rod ? if there is no holes in the block pull the pain and check everything oil look for metal shavings(bearings) and what not in the pan
Old 04-11-2009, 10:53 PM

JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath

nah i kno what its like to throw a rod.. u can usually still drive it and start it and hear the shit clanking around in the motor. No oil on ground at all. I'm pulling the motor apart tomorrow to check everything out.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Do You Want More?

Hondas_Only Hondas_Only Hondas_Only Hondas_Only Hondas_Only Hondas_Only

Originally Posted by JDMtoDeath
checked the oil n its dry as fuck..
please elaborate on DRY. sounds like you seized up based on this info, and if that's the case, you might as well take that bitch a part and start looking for parts floating around.

if it was leaking ridiculously, then it definitely sounds like you threw a rod and in that case your screwed. where was the leak coming from?

is it turning over at all? if not, then obviously something is jammed up... likely engine parts

when you get some light, take some pics. and good luck bro. i know the pain of blowing up a motor... no fun.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by HONDAS_ONLY
please elaborate on DRY. sounds like you seized up based on this info, and if that's the case, you might as well take that bitch a part and start looking for parts floating around.

if it was leaking ridiculously, then it definitely sounds like you threw a rod and in that case your screwed. where was the leak coming from?

is it turning over at all? if not, then obviously something is jammed up... likely engine parts

when you get some light, take some pics. and good luck bro. i know the pain of blowing up a motor... no fun.
Thanks man.. nah i'm almost 100% sure i didnt throw a rod i've done it about 4 times in 2 yrs so im very well familiar with the sounds.. smells and all. This is different. It tries to crank but after about a half revolution it seizes like the battery is dead.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Do You Want More?

nah i kno what its like to throw a rod.. u can usually still drive it and start it and hear the shit clanking around in the motor. No oil on ground at all. I'm pulling the motor apart tomorrow to check everything out.
motor was leaking rediculous
this doesnt make sense.... where was it leaking if it wasnt on the ground? throwing a rod will prolly stop the motor from running if the piston goes through the block or the piston head explodes all over the place... i could be wrong though...

maybe its the crank. does it try to start?
Old 04-11-2009, 11:03 PM

this doesnt make sense.... where was it leaking if it wasnt on the ground? throwing a rod will prolly stop the motor from running if the piston goes through the block or the piston head explodes all over the place... i could be wrong though...

maybe its the crank. does it try to start?
It was leakin from the back of the motor somewhere.. couldn't tell def. should've gotten around to it sooner.. cuz i could smell it hitting the exhaust while driving. Popped the hood.. no oil or holes ANYWHERE.. tries to start then stops like battery is dead but its def. not.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:03 PM
Do You Want More?

Thanks man.. nah i'm almost 100% sure i didnt throw a rod i've done it about 4 times in 2 yrs so im very well familiar with the sounds.. smells and all. This is different. It tries to crank but after about a half revolution it seizes like the battery is dead.
is the smell like burning/hot metal? pull the plugs and see whats down there.

how much oil is in there.....

another things is maybe your tranny blew up... never had that happen but.. i would think that if the tranny was in a million pieces, that could cause a little seizing problem. when was the last oil change on the tranny?
Old 04-11-2009, 11:05 PM
Do You Want More?

It was leakin from the back of the motor somewhere.. couldn't tell def. should've gotten around to it sooner.. cuz i could smell it hitting the exhaust while driving. Popped the hood.. no oil or holes ANYWHERE.. tries to start then stops like battery is dead but its def. not.
so the leak was something you had going on for a while? like you had a gasket leak or somethin? when was the last time you added oil?
Old 04-11-2009, 11:06 PM

is the smell like burning/hot metal? pull the plugs and see whats down there.

how much oil is in there.....

another things is maybe your tranny blew up... never had that happen but.. i would think that if the tranny was in a million pieces, that could cause a little seizing problem. when was the last oil change on the tranny?
The smell was def. weird as shit.. im thinkn its one of two things: locked up, or the tranny went cause im thinkin it was leaking from a seal or something on the back bottom of the motor by the exhaust. Hopefully its the tranny.. kinda makes sense cause it all occurred JUST as i was shifting (kinda hard) into 4th.. then came the noise.. then it coasted and cut off and kinda jerked cuz it was in gear there was no noise like something came off inside the motor.

Quick Reply: Motor Locked Up???