VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   MkVI help (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/mkvi-help-480573/)

91tegrsjg 01-13-2014 04:41 PM

MkVI help

I just picked up a 2011 GTI 6MT. It is completely stock. I have some idea of what I going to do with it. Now before I get chastised and neg reps, I am new to the VW game.

Im thinking of:
- APR stage 1
- Milltek Exhaust
- S3 intercooler
- DieselGeeks shifter
- R8 coils
- VWR intake
- Eibach sportlines (not sure on struts)

I guess what I asking is, does this seem like it will seem like a decent fun ride?

Yardjass 01-13-2014 05:52 PM

Re: MkVI help

:thup: for another mkVI golf. Don't know much about mods because all my money goes into the Z. I do hear Malone tuning is pretty good though. They might do gassers, maybe just diesels. Not sure.

Blue2turbo 01-14-2014 08:23 AM

Depending on if you're going to get a full turboback or just a catback section, that should really decide which stage tune you're going to get. If you get a full turboback milltek, you might as well get the APR Stage 2. Although, if you do some reading through the VW boards, catback exhausts are mostly just for added noise in the MKVI platform. Many owners just go with an intake, downpipe, and stage 2. Save the money from the catback section to get supporting mods like 034 Motor Mounts, Boost gauge, etc.

I did the R8 coils in mine along with New NGK plugs. If you shop around and use coupon codes, you can get a set of the NGK plugs for about $25 and you can normally find the (4) R8 Coils for about $75 shipped. Either way, definitely an upgrade you should do before the tune.

I actually just sold the set of Sportline Springs I had as I heard mixed reviews about them. I have in the garage waiting to be installed VWR Springs and Koni STR.T struts/shocks (I just need to get my new Audi TT Upper Mounts and Rear Spring Pads so I can install), but if you're going to do the suspension, make sure you replace all the parts at the same time. So if you do Struts and springs, keep in mind you're probably going to want to do New upper mounts, strut bearings, stretch bolts and nuts. If you plan on doing it yourself, you'll also need a strut spreader tool and a 14mm? triple square bit.

You have a solid plan in place, but if you decide to do a full exhaust and go stage 2, remember to consider the fact that it may cause your factory clutch to start slipping. If this happens, upgraded clutch disc or full clutch will be necessary and cost a pretty penny. If you stay at Stage 1, I would suggest skipping the exhaust all together, and using that money on a set of APR or Hotchkis Sway bars as well.

I have a 2010 GTI as my daily driver and it's mostly stock with a couple small changes, but I plan on doing

Unitronic Stage 1
Intake of some nature (probably just a BSH or Neuspeed, cheap and functional)
VWR Springs (already have)
Koni STR.T Shocks (already have)
APR Rear Sway bar (already have)
S3 Shifter w/ upgraded bushings (installed)
AWE Boost Gauge (installed)

And that's pretty much it. I'm also a maintenance freak (especially with German cars) so I did the R8 coils/NGK Plugs and cabin filter. At 40k miles I'm due for my new fuel filter and when I install the suspension, I am replacing all the disposables there as well.

91tegrsjg 01-17-2014 09:13 AM

I really don't see any need of going to stage two and blowing a brand new stock clutch in a few thousand miles. And I looked at clutches, wow. Stepping into the VW game from the old stool Honda game is a big jump in prices

Computer_Nerd 01-17-2014 11:18 AM

You just went from checkers to chess.

Yardjass 01-17-2014 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Computer_Nerd (Post 8253442)

More like tic-tac-toe to chess :D

Computer_Nerd 01-17-2014 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Computer_Nerd (Post 8253442)

Originally Posted by Yardjass (Post 8253462)
More like tic-tac-toe to chess :D

FINGA PAIND

http://image.shutterstock.com/displa...-106429994.jpg

jaqattack02 01-17-2014 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Computer_Nerd (Post 8253556)

I lost

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Computer_Nerd again.

Blue2turbo 01-18-2014 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by 91tegrsjg (Post 8253405)
I really don't see any need of going to stage two and blowing a brand new stock clutch in a few thousand miles. And I looked at clutches, wow. Stepping into the VW game from the old stool Honda game is a big jump in prices

Yea, clutches are not fun in these cars in terms of price. Keep your ears open for a squealing noise when you release the clutch in reverse or first gear in the cold. If you start to hear that noise, then your throw out bearing is leaking and will have to be replaced... super common problem, requires dropping the bell housing to do and you might as well do the clutch while you're in there anyways. If you bought your car used and it's not a CPO, dealer will not cover it, nor will VWoA, not in this area anyway, I know because I tried and after a week long battle got nowhere. Had to have mine replaced at 34k miles.

If you're not going stage 2, skip the exhaust and downpipe, again unless you just want the aftermarket exhaust noise, or you'll also have to deal with a CEL for no cat, unless you get a catted downpipe, but they are super pricey for what they are.

And yea, these cars are on the opposite side of the map compared to the old Honda game.

91tegrsjg 03-25-2014 06:11 PM

so I am looking at a SMP "street" turbo back and the billy boat turbo back. Anyone have any experience with these?