Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Minitruck air bag rear section question

Old 08-23-2009, 08:02 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546
Default Minitruck air bag rear section question

Well what I have is an 86' Toyota Pickup that I will be bagging very soon. In the rear, I could go with the everyday stupid high c-notch, but this build is very budget oriented. I can get a whatever size and design c-notch cut at work for like nothing, but I thought of another way and am not sure how well it would work. I thought about just basically Z-ing the frame in the rear in the old school way of just cutting it and laying one side on the other and welding it back up. You pretty much get a height difference of however high the framerail is. Well, I thought about doing this, but instead of Z-ing the rear section higher so I wouldn't need a c-notch, I thought about going under the axle. Here are some pictures to kind of explain what I'm thinking.

As these show, I will be lowering the rear section down about 8.5". What I'm worried about is the space between the bottom of the axle and the top of the framerail obviously. My ride height I am thinking will be about 4-5" from ground to bottom of frame and I want to make sure that when hitting a bump or something and the axle drops down it doesnt slam on the frame. Now this would really depend on the height of the tire obviously. So my question would be how much space should I be looking for under the axle for a safe drive? I am open to any and all suggestions. Bag placement is not for sure yet, as well as ride height and wheel/tire height. Thanks.

Last edited by disheeki546; 08-23-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:04 AM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn
Default Re: Minitruck air bag rear section question

so your thinking of having the frame under the axle???

is that what im reading?
Old 08-23-2009, 08:32 AM
Registered Member

realslow50 is on a distinguished road

u know ur c notch is only as big as u make it not everyone has 20in notches. Under the axle designs i feel are really for more show oriented vehicles not drivers but they can be drove i guess. But if ur on a budget build thats not what you want to do. The best way to under acle is with tube frames and big wheels. just my 02cents
Old 08-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546

Originally Posted by nftuatn
so your thinking of having the frame under the axle???

is that what im reading?
yes

Originally Posted by realslow50
u know ur c notch is only as big as u make it not everyone has 20in notches. Under the axle designs i feel are really for more show oriented vehicles not drivers but they can be drove i guess. But if ur on a budget build thats not what you want to do. The best way to under acle is with tube frames and big wheels. just my 02cents
why would this not be the way to go for a cheap build? you are using no new parts...
Old 08-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Boost is Better

sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx

I am by no means a mini truck guy but I would like to know something.

So if the axle is ABOVE the frame how will you attatch it so that the air bag will even move it or how will the axle be held to the truck?

I mean like when you have an airbag setup the airbag goes between the frame and axle so when you put air in it raises and air out lowers it by gravity. I know there must be a way just curious because those drawings don't show it and i am now curious after reading as to how that is done.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

well i am pretty much set on a triangulated four link, and that should be no different to setup than if the axle were below the frame. the bag position is not determined exactly and thats becuase of a few different things. what your talking about is a simple bag over axle setup which will give you the same travel from aired out to aired up as the bags usable stroke.

there are many different ways to mount the bag though, it can be behind and below the axle which still gives you the same travel as the bags usable stroke. you can mount it on the lower bars of your 4 link, which will give you a little better ride, and more travel due to the leverage between the bag and axle, but you will have to run more pressure to the bag. (i like this idea mainly because with the ideas i have for the bed, i can basically keep the bag under the bed and out of sight). those are the most two common probably, but there are so many different ways to mount it. i have considered a cantilever setup, , but i dont think i feel like the engineering.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:25 AM
doesn't like 1911s

~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh

you now my vote... and thats all i'm saying
Old 08-23-2009, 10:28 AM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

i have a whole s10 frame that is bagged and reverse 4 linked...all the valves and shit are under the bed floor also...

it was under a 2000 ex cab s10...but it has been shortened 18 inches....it is under a 49 plymouth right now but im going a diffrent route now..

you could just cut the frame behind the cab and weld to yours...

OR you could just mount your toyota body on it...
Old 08-23-2009, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

pmed
Old 08-23-2009, 10:42 AM
baller/dickbutt#69

pmed back

Quick Reply: Minitruck air bag rear section question