Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Mini me swap vs Z6

Old 12-23-2010, 06:05 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grant90 has disabled reputation
Default Mini me swap vs Z6

I have a guy offering me his mini me swap Y7 block and Z6 head w/ a ex tranny.
What are the pros/cons of this opposed to a full d16z6?
ie: reliability, hp/tq, aftermarket support.

Thanks.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:10 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd
Default Re: Mini me swap vs Z6

¥°ü $hóµ└d Hφ└d Ωü┬ ╒°r à └εe┬ $wαP ╒°r å ß@çφπ gêñë┌@┬°r
Old 12-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms

The guy had the Y7 engine in the car, and since it's cheaper to buy a head and ECU he merely swapped the Y7 (non vtec) head for the Z6 (vtec) head. I'd go for the full Z6 swap if mileage is close, as it's more likely to not have been taken apart by some kid who thinks he's a mechanic.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:51 AM
last breath first

gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup gdupfromfeetup

think about it this way, bottom ends with different heads arent meant to be together. Full swaps are. If honda wanted a mini me to be available they would have made it straight from the factory that way.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:18 PM
Sheeeit

Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch

Originally Posted by backtoarms
The guy had the Y7 engine in the car, and since it's cheaper to buy a head and ECU he merely swapped the Y7 (non vtec) head for the Z6 (vtec) head. I'd go for the full Z6 swap if mileage is close, as it's more likely to not have been taken apart by some kid who thinks he's a mechanic.
x2, the horse power differences between the mini me and z6 are practically unnoticeable. ive had a y7/z6 mini me ive had a z6 and last civic i had was running a jdm zc sohc vtec... which i think was a basic replacement single slammer in japan. anyways the zc is basicly a z6...

point being all three were dirt slow and your not going to see much of a difference between the 3...imo any difference that is noticeable i would write off to one being more wore out than the next. go z6 and save yourself some timing issues from poorly assembled driveway honda mechanics. and dont take anyones word when they say "oh it was done here" without a shop invoice and receipt.

you can find a z6 for 400 bucks...and you can even buy my ex/si trans

or

be a pussy and go b-series

Last edited by Hooch; 12-25-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:24 PM
BATTLESTAGS

TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo

I am actually building an god damned d16z6/bottom end with a y8 head and p29 pistons...say 12.6:1 actual 12.3:1 effective C.R. (which won't even really make dick for power) motor for my wife's car. I got sucked into it. I hate it and would be the first to tell you fuck a single cam. Do a real swap. Don't get sucked into the neverending retard fest that a D16 build is. No matter what you do, it's still gonna be slow, so just get the complete swap and toss it in.

BTW CONS are: You'll be hard pressed to find a motor that some retard hasn't done something stupid to, and that little 1.6 will find a way to nickel and dime you until you could've afforded an ls swap or gsr swap. That's what D16's do.

Last edited by TongWoo; 12-25-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Sheeeit

Originally Posted by TongWoo
I am actually building an god damned d16z6/bottom end with a y8 head and p29 pistons...say 12.6:1 actual 12.3:1 effective C.R. (which won't even really make dick for power) motor for my wife's car. I got sucked into it. I hate it and would be the first to tell you fuck a single cam. Do a real swap. Don't get sucked into the neverending retard fest that a D16 build is. No matter what you do, it's still gonna be slow, so just get the complete swap and toss it in.
d-series CAN NOT make power n/a, but they can be very fun turbo builds that will yield useful experience. without reducing urself to the mundane repetitive b-series faggotry that plagues 90% of honda owners. and they can make very decent power even for a budget build. 350-400..''pushing it" can be achieved safely on a none sleeved d-series block so long as you do the right research and look into similar builds here on the interwebs to help avoid some of the common made mistakes that turn your budget build into an all out money pit. or be like everyone else and put a whored out b16 in it?

Originally Posted by TongWoo

BTW CONS are: You'll be hard pressed to find a motor that some retard hasn't done something stupid to, and that little 1.6 will find a way to nickel and dime you until you could've afforded an ls swap or gsr swap. That's what D16's do.
this is a ignorant comment... i find it hard to beleive the honda kid selling a gsr swap hasnt abused this motor more than say the honda kid with a z6 fresh out of their car to make room for said "gsr" lol not to mention d series is no more or less reliable the the majority of their duel cam brethren

Last edited by Hooch; 12-25-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:58 PM
BATTLESTAGS

TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo

Originally Posted by Captain Slow
d-series CAN NOT make power n/a, but they can be very fun turbo builds that will yield useful experience. without reducing urself to the mundane repetitive b-series faggotry that plagues 90% of honda owners. and they can make very decent power even for a budget build. 350-400..''pushing it" can be achieved safely on a none sleeved d-series block so long as you do the right research and look into similar builds here on the interwebs to help avoid some of the common made mistakes that turn your budget build into an all out money pit. or be like everyone else and put a whored out b16 in it?

this is a ignorant comment... i find it hard to beleive the honda kid selling a gsr swap hasnt abused this motor more than say the honda kid with a z6 fresh out of their car to make room for said "gsr" lol not to mention d series is no more or less reliable the the majority of their duel cam brethren
What you have to understand is: I'm bitter, because I've recently dealt with a billion swamp rats and their ghetto rigged "single slammers" ...Now I've actually been put in a position where I have to build one to throw in my wife's car. I think I'm just bitching because I'd rather be spending the loot on parts for my car, lol. So I'm gonna drink and talk shit about d16's

In reality, you're right and you make a good point.
My advice is to buy the full z6 swap to make everything easy

Last edited by TongWoo; 12-26-2010 at 04:55 AM.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:02 PM
Sheeeit

ide +rep you on that response if i were capable of rep raping at the moment.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

JDM PANDA has disabled reputation

look a mini me swap can be fast if you know what ur doing my brothers mini me was able to hang wit b seires if you do d15b7 block with a d16z6 head and an ex tranny then you got a good mini me swap and thats what im about to do so say what you want but ill tell you how it turns out

Quick Reply: Mini me swap vs Z6