Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Miata turbo setup help

Old 01-30-2011, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
insane09 has disabled reputation
Default Miata turbo setup help

Close.

Last edited by insane09; 01-31-2011 at 03:32 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:04 PM
V NewYearsResolution

John6363 John6363 John6363 John6363 John6363 John6363 John6363 John6363 John6363 John6363 John6363
Default Re: Miata turbo setup help

If you're not going to post any info about your car how can you expect help? Also if you're going to go cheap and try to part together a turbo system for your car, at least use the FM Instructions to help. They give a lot of info on where to put oil/coolant lines and what all you'll need.

Questions you need to answer:
Year miata and engine size?
Turbo Size?
Upgrading injectors?
How much boost is your wastegate set at?
What brand bov?
FMIC?
Fuel Management system?

I don't think the oil port will make a difference. Don't try to fabricate an exhaust, just go but one. Just so you know around 10-12 lbs of boost is generally the accepted amount for a stock na/nb engine. Any boost is more than the manufacture intended so be careful not to fuck your shit.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:11 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by John6363
I don't think the oil port will make a difference.
Depends if you want the oil to drain or not.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:13 PM
V NewYearsResolution

John6363 John6363 John6363 John6363 John6363 John6363 John6363 John6363 John6363 John6363 John6363

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Depends if you want the oil to drain or not.
my b, didn't see that he said oil return port until now.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

93civicdxgreen has disabled reputation

you are aware that you can rotate the turbo housing right?
Old 01-30-2011, 09:15 PM
doesn't like 1911s

~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh

You know how I know you can't build a decent turbo car...

you spray painted your motor.
Zerofucksgiven

Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello

You need a different manifold...

That looks like a 16g.
Go cry to momma

Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness

Originally Posted by John6363
If you're not going to post any info about your car how can you expect help? Also if you're going to go cheap and try to part together a turbo system for your car, at least use the FM Instructions to help. They give a lot of info on where to put oil/coolant lines and what all you'll need.

Questions you need to answer:
Year miata and engine size?
Turbo Size?
Upgrading injectors?
How much boost is your wastegate set at?
What brand bov?
FMIC?
Fuel Management system?

I don't think the oil port will make a difference. Don't try to fabricate an exhaust, just go but one. Just so you know around 10-12 lbs of boost is generally the accepted amount for a stock na/nb engine. Any boost is more than the manufacture intended so be careful not to fuck your shit.

Originally Posted by insane09
Chris
Vabeach

I have this turbo i picked up from an eclipse.. No clue wat kind of turbo i am dealing with ... The engine is out of my miata.. I put the turbo on and like tge pics show this is how it is sittin... Should i get some custom piping made for the exhaust? And is it an issue that the oil return port is facing upward? Sry i am a noob when it comes to turbos.. Any information could help. But please dont bash my thread. Just lookin for honest advice to get my system running . Thank u in advance.

OP, first, you need to google "clocking a turbo" and figure out how to get your exhaust facing a more downward direction. Second, I would check good ol Google again and type in "turbocharging a Miata". I did. Found stuff. If this is your first time, research and READ, READ, READ. Try and find out as much info as possible before you do something.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:16 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by insane09
I have this turbo i picked up from an eclipse.. No clue wat kind of turbo i am dealing with ... The engine is out of my miata.. I put the turbo on and like tge pics show this is how it is sittin... Should i get some custom piping made for the exhaust? And is it an issue that the oil return port is facing upward?
I'm not really familiar with the stock Eclipse turbos, but most turbos can be "clocked" by unbolting the turbine housing and re-bolting at a different angle of rotation. The same can often be done with the compressor housing, depending on what style of compressor housing it is and how it fastens to the center section. Basically you should be able to move the oil port to the proper location (the BOTTOM of the center section if you want the oil to drain) and make the compressor outlet face some other direction than straight up.

You should be able to unbolt that elbow on the turbine housing and use a downpipe that bolts directly to the turbine housing. Then the downpipe will automatically start at a much more convenient direction. The downpipe will have a funny shaped flange with 5 or 6 bolts on it (I can't remember how many) instead of the 2 bolt football flange that's on that OEM cast elbow.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 01-30-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

93civicdxgreen has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
I'm not really familiar with the stock Eclipse turbos, but most turbos can be "clocked" by unbolting the turbine housing and re-bolting at a different angle of rotation. The same can often be done with the compressor housing, depending on what style of compressor housing it is and how it fastens to the center section. Basically you should be able to move the oil port to the proper location (the BOTTOM of the center section if you want the oil to drain) and make the compressor outlet face some other direction than straight up.
damn what was wrong with the way i said it?

Quick Reply: Miata turbo setup help