Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

lsd motorsports dragger clutch slipping

Old 08-27-2010, 05:28 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jaydmdc2 has disabled reputation
Default lsd motorsports dragger clutch slipping

i've got a lsd dragger 6 puck sprung clutch kit on my boosted z6 motor hydro tranny 95 ex coupe and have about 2,000 miles on it now.im prolly putting down around 225whp or so, the clutch should be able to handle anything i have to throw at it. claims to hold 385ftlbs. the clutch has held fine up until about a week ago when it started to slip. when i put the clutch in i resurfaced the flywheel at my work on a lathe. i had to take alot(alot) of material off it to get it flat again it was very warped. i put a new rear main seal in with the clutch so i pretty sure there's not oil on the clutch anywhere. does anyone think it's possible that i could have taken to much material off the flywheel when resurfacing it? my buddy has brand new comp. clutch 6 puck unsprung disk i can have. do you think i could get a away with reusing the dragger pressure plate with the new comp. disk and a brand new stock replacement flywheel that i can get off ebay for $68.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:06 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: lsd motorsports dragger clutch slipping

I don't really know much about single cam stuff, but is there a step spec that needs to be followed on that flywheel? If there is a step spec, and you only resurfaced the friction face, the pressure plate clamp distance may be wrong and may not be clamping correctly. That may have glazed the friction disc if it's slipping. Basically if the surface where the pressure plate mounts on the flywheel is not the same surface that the friction disc mates to the flywheel, that makes a step (the height difference between the two surfaces). If you machine the friction surface, you're changing the distance between those two surfaces. so the clamping pressure might not be the same. This may not apply at all to that engine/flywheel (I don't know if it has a stepped flywheel), but it's a common mistake for stepped flywheels so that may be the problem.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:21 AM
Registered Member

jaydmdc2 has disabled reputation

thanks you fabrik8 for the help. yes d16 flywheels are stepped. im pretty sure im on the right track thinking that i resurfaced it to much and that why it's slipping i don't know if there is a spec on how far you can go before it's to far or not i just went ahead and resurfaced it. when i say i had to take alot of material off it was a good amount lol im pretty sure this is my problem im going to get a new flywheel from advance auto for $61 bucks and try again. my question is do you think i might have fucked my clutch since it did start to slip it might have some hot spots on the pressure plate's friction surface. do you think the pressure plate is reusable? im gonna use my buddies brand new 6 puck unsprung disk with the new flywheel so the only part of the old setup i would be using is the actual pressure plate and it might have some hot spots.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

Mindless is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a step spec and idk what it is off hand but yeah that's probably the problem.

Had the same clutch in my boosted LSV and was very satisfied with it.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:54 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by jaydmdc2
my question is do you think i might have fucked my clutch since it did start to slip it might have some hot spots on the pressure plate's friction surface. do you think the pressure plate is reusable?
I'd take a look at the pressure plate before reusing it and see what it looks like. Depending on what type of friction material was used before and what type of friction material the new clutch has, you might need to do some light resurfacing just because of the difference in friction materials. A clutch is really no different than disc brakes, so the same rules apply about changing friction compounds and compounds embedding in the surface.