Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

ls1 build info NEEDED

Old 02-19-2011, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slo vr6 has disabled reputation
Default ls1 build info NEEDED

so im gonna start building a ls1 in the next few months and i just need to get all the info together before i jump in. i will be doing an all motor setup and i would like to get at least a 10:1 cr. everywhere i look i see pistons for a 3.905 bore but not the stock 3.898 bore. can anyone give me info on the pistons, rods, and crank i will need for this, or tell me who to call? i do not want to bore the block if i dont have to, and i will most likely be using one of trickflow's top end kits for heads. i appreciate any help at all
Old 02-20-2011, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

Default Re: ls1 build info NEEDED

ttt
Old 02-22-2011, 05:13 AM
Registered Member

carowmoto carowmoto carowmoto carowmoto carowmoto carowmoto carowmoto carowmoto carowmoto carowmoto carowmoto

Im assuming the LS1 is going in a 240sx... Anywho, if your rebuilding the engine, you should probly bore the block at least 20 over. If your gona go through the hassle you might as well do it right.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:22 AM
Registered Member

Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost

Originally Posted by carowmoto
Im assuming the LS1 is going in a 240sx... Anywho, if your rebuilding the engine, you should probly bore the block at least 20 over. If your gona go through the hassle you might as well do it right.
yes this^

10.0:1 is lower than OEM SCR, so I would certainly be building it significantly higher than that. The stock crank is good to north 1K HP and can be turned as much as 0.020. When buying a harness stay away from the 97-98 LS1 harnesses.

The Trickflow heads, when CNC ported and milled per application can make a lot of power, but their top-end kits pretty much just suck. They have produced sub-standard numbers on every setup that has rolled through here. Absolutely spend your money somewhere else.

The swap section of LS1tech is an excellent place to start: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids-28/
Old 02-22-2011, 06:58 AM
N2OWNED

99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula

Originally Posted by carowmoto
Not gonna happen. There's not enough meat on the liners to bore one .020 (assuming you're talking an aluminum block). The furthest I've even heard of anyone taking one is 3.910, but why bother. A quick hone to 3.905 should be all that's needed and it'll keep you in off the shelf pistons.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

carowmoto carowmoto carowmoto carowmoto carowmoto carowmoto carowmoto carowmoto carowmoto carowmoto carowmoto

Originally Posted by 99formula
Not gonna happen. There's not enough meat on the liners to bore one .020 (assuming you're talking an aluminum block). The furthest I've even heard of anyone taking one is 3.910, but why bother. A quick hone to 3.905 should be all that's needed and it'll keep you in off the shelf pistons.
Holy shit! You can't even bore an LS1 .020 over!!? Didn't know that. It appears as though I'm out of my element. I'll stick to Hondas for now then. Goodluck and let me know if you have questions about the swap (LS1 240sx?). Been there done that...
Old 02-22-2011, 09:08 AM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

Originally Posted by Frost
yes this^

10.0:1 is lower than OEM SCR, so I would certainly be building it significantly higher than that. The stock crank is good to north 1K HP and can be turned as much as 0.020. When buying a harness stay away from the 97-98 LS1 harnesses.

The Trickflow heads, when CNC ported and milled per application can make a lot of power, but their top-end kits pretty much just suck. They have produced sub-standard numbers on every setup that has rolled through here. Absolutely spend your money somewhere else.

The swap section of LS1tech is an excellent place to start: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids-28/
Everything he said...+

I bought my standalone harness from PSi conversions.. its a complete new harness with connectors, complteley plug and play.

10:1 is low for an all motor setup like Frost said, check out LS1tech all the info you need will be there.

Why are you concerned about your CR anyway and not power?
Old 02-23-2011, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

actually the ls1 im building will be going in a 1999 camaro ss....summit racing has an aluminum block which has an unfinished bore of 3.890 so idk if a hone would get me to 3.905...i said at least 10:1 because i wanna keep the car somewhat streetable....i figure 10.5:1 cr will get me the power numbers i want...and are you positive about the trick flow kit? because i have heard good things about them....and ive heard stock crank in a ls1 is only good for around 500 hp...i appreciate the input though keep it coming
Old 02-23-2011, 01:12 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You're talking a difference of 0.007 inches (3.898 to 3.905), that's about the same thickness as common printer paper. It's pretty common to do a final hone for the last 0.003 to 0.005, so 0.007 is still within honing range without getting bored.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

ok cool i didnt know you could hone up to 0.007...i was always told if you go past 0.005 you might as well bore it...but thanks

Quick Reply: ls1 build info NEEDED