Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

ls vtec vs b20 vtec?

Old 07-31-2008, 05:51 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iwanagofast has disabled reputation
Default ls vtec vs b20 vtec?

Was wondering which one was better im planning on going n/a
Old 07-31-2008, 05:53 PM
Still spinnin'

Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n
Default Re: ls vtec vs b20 vtec?

"No replacement for displacement"....or so they say
Old 07-31-2008, 05:57 PM
Registered member

iwanagofast has disabled reputation

so 1 for b20 i heard bad things about b20 crank not being able to handle high rpms this true?
Old 08-01-2008, 12:37 AM
Registered Member

VTEC_Civic97 has disabled reputation

neither one is meant for high rpms so might as well start with the bigger motor and just do it right
Old 08-01-2008, 02:31 AM
Slowest HRC Member

BAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond repute

Okay - from the standpoint of basic motor design -
The B20 has a more favorable bore/stroke combination for high RPM engines. It also has more displacement, which = more power, all else considered equal.

As for the bottom end, an LS crank, an Eagle crank, and basically any B-series crank will fit. No matter which crank you use, for N/A, it should be fully lightened, knifed, and balanced.

Further, because of the bore size, less dome is needed to get the same displacment on the B20. Not to mention the valves can be deshrouded much further with 3 mm more bore, so the airflow on the head becomes better....

How many more advantages would you like me to list?
Old 08-01-2008, 09:14 AM
I <3 My DSM

SPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud of

lolol...after that post from honda rules...../thread well put good sir.....but yes.....B20vtec FTW
Old 08-01-2008, 09:16 AM
I <3 My DSM

SPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by White Meat
"No replacement for displacement"....or so they say
I had some older guy in a stingray vette say that same thing to me....until i told him that my TURBO is plenty of replacement for displacement....then he said he would just supercharge his and blah blah blah , so i told him wait, i thought you just said there is no replacement for displacement....now your talking about power adders..?? needless to say, he was flabbergasted, studdering words to have a comeback
Old 08-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Sorry. Not really.

BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve

If you go B20, just make sure you sleeve it.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

1rude2l has disabled reputation

No need to sleeve a all-motor b20/vtec. All in the tuning.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:48 PM
TiM-MaY!

coolva is a jewel in the roughcoolva is a jewel in the roughcoolva is a jewel in the roughcoolva is a jewel in the roughcoolva is a jewel in the rough

I had a stock-sleeved B20/VTEC (only a block guard) with a HX40 turbo handle 400 on ~18 psi @ 6800 RPM (pump gas)

only problem is boost kept climbing due to too small of a wastegate, so boost cut kept killing it at 6800...

Its like everyone sais... its all in the tune... My timing on race gas is usually about the same as some of the other tuners pump gas timing...

Quick Reply: ls vtec vs b20 vtec?