Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

ls/vtec

Old 03-20-2009, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151
Default ls/vtec

Whats up guys, my rings are on their way out so i'm thinkin about ripping the engine out and disassembling it. I've been reading about dropping either ITR pistons or B16 pistons instead of the stock ls ones. I just want some feedback on this before i start looking for parts. Let me hear some of your experiences and pros and cons to both. Is it cost efficient for the extra bit of power i'm gonna get from the compression jump?
Old 03-21-2009, 08:12 AM
tits anyone?

I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.)
Default Re: ls/vtec

I may be wrong but I think you have to use either b16a pistons, b16b(ctr), or itr pistons, not sure bout gsr's but im pretty sure you cant use the stock ls pistons with a vtec head like b16 etc...
Old 03-21-2009, 08:15 AM
I have a 20 valve...

crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx

the rods are a little too long (LS) to use with a b16 head. you'll have to change those out to use b16 pistons. Why not just go high compression LS? I did that and the engine had some pretty good pull. 84.5 mm pistons (GE), mild port and polish on the head, skunk2 valve train.

it was the very nice.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:18 AM
Registered Member

santanard has disabled reputation

get some p30 pistons and throw a vtec head on there
Old 03-21-2009, 09:39 AM
peaches

b16EFsedan b16EFsedan b16EFsedan b16EFsedan b16EFsedan b16EFsedan b16EFsedan b16EFsedan b16EFsedan b16EFsedan b16EFsedan

i have a bone stockb18a1 block and i put i 1st gen b16 head on it and it ran fine no problems or anything....and my bro has a 96 teg with a ls/v on stock everything but the golden eagle kit......we didnt mod any internals
Old 03-21-2009, 11:47 AM
tits anyone?

I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.)

when you put the b16 head on the b18a1 block all you had to do was change the dowel and tap for oil?
Old 03-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151

Originally Posted by santanard
get some p30 pistons and throw a vtec head on there
I think thats what i'm doin

I've got a lsvtec in it now. My rings are going bad so i want a cheap fix because i'm a broke ass. I figured up the compression while i've got everything apart. I've got a spare gsr crank too. would there be any benefit to pulling the ls crank out and running the gsr one? what would that do compression wise?
Old 03-21-2009, 01:22 PM
I have a 20 valve...

crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx

I'm not sure the GSR crank would change the compression at all. I believe the GSR crank was a little knife edged so it will cut down on the drag of the crank going through the oil of the oil pan. Please look into it actually fitting- the GSR was such a renegade motor that very little of it actually fit into anything else.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Eh

NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay

Originally Posted by crxnfx
the rods are a little too long (LS) to use with a b16 head. you'll have to change those out to use b16 pistons. Why not just go high compression LS? I did that and the engine had some pretty good pull. 84.5 mm pistons (GE), mild port and polish on the head, skunk2 valve train.

it was the very nice.
That makes no sense how is an ls rod to long for a b16 head?.. You can use either a b16 or gsr head with an ls-v. The gsr will slightly raise the compression a tad. Im pretty sure you can only use b16 pistons with ls rods unless you get the pistons or rods machined to accept the itr pistons.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:25 PM
Eh

NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay

Originally Posted by crxnfx
I'm not sure the GSR crank would change the compression at all. I believe the GSR crank was a little knife edged so it will cut down on the drag of the crank going through the oil of the oil pan. Please look into it actually fitting- the GSR was such a renegade motor that very little of it actually fit into anything else.
Gsr crank has an 87mm stroke and the Ls crank has an 89mm stroke. Keep the Ls crank the gsr crank would take away a little displacment. If you use a gsr crank you will have to use gsr rods BUT it will all work in an ls block if you were wondering. If anything put all the ls shit into a gsr block because the gsr block has the factory girdle which would be nice. I would def recomend looking into some arp rod bolts if you want to rev and get full potential out of your motor

Quick Reply: ls/vtec