VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   Is a loud squeeking coming from your car, found the problem ! (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/loud-squeeking-coming-your-car-found-problem-359353/)

tatum31 08-18-2010 06:59 AM

Is a loud squeeking coming from your car, found the problem !

just recently my car began making a loud squeeking noise, i figured the timing belt just needed some conditioner and it would go away. Went to advanced and bought a can of conditioner and used it on the belt/pulleys. Didnt hear the squeek till the next morning. After taking a better look under the hood i saw that the belt was halfway on the pulley. I had no time to fix because i had work in 15 minutes. I started to work and about a half mile down the road the belt shreads and im sitting in a parking lot. After getting it to my mechanic he finds that the squeeking was coming from my ac belt that was also shreaded. Water pump was almost busted and timing belt was shreaded. I got a pretty good deal on the work ( $350 ) including the tow. Thought this would help if anyone came across the thread and was having the same problem.

Also can anyone let me know how much a harmonic balancer runs for a 95 civc ex and what the labor time would be....

MUCH APPRECIATED

boredom 08-18-2010 07:26 AM

Re: Is a loud squeeking coming from your car, found the problem !

Originally Posted by tatum31 (Post 6513297)
just recently my car began making a loud squeeking noise, i figured the timing belt just needed some conditioner and it would go away. Went to advanced and bought a can of conditioner and used it on the belt/pulleys. Didnt hear the squeek till the next morning. After taking a better look under the hood i saw that the belt was halfway on the pulley. I had no time to fix because i had work in 15 minutes. I started to work and about a half mile down the road the belt shreads and im sitting in a parking lot. After getting it to my mechanic he finds that the squeeking was coming from my ac belt that was also shreaded. Water pump was almost busted and timing belt was shreaded. I got a pretty good deal on the work ( $350 ) including the tow. Thought this would help if anyone came across the thread and was having the same problem.

Also can anyone let me know how much a harmonic balancer runs for a 95 civc ex and what the labor time would be....

MUCH APPRECIATED

wait, so you heard squealing, assumed your belts were loose, put some conditioner on them, and after that you almost destroyed your motor? what did you buy/do so i can avoid it.

tatum31 08-18-2010 07:49 AM

i just figured something was rubbing with my belts and the pulley, so i bought the conditioner and put it on there. That didnt help at all. I think thats what caused the belt to slip. If you encounter it just make sure all your belts and on the pulleys fully and the tension is right. If you still hear squeeling then more than likely its your ac belt.

5literbeater 08-18-2010 07:52 AM

nice diagnosis of your problem tech A!

tatum31 08-18-2010 07:55 AM

thanks man, haha .

boredom 08-18-2010 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by 5literbeater (Post 6513406)
nice diagnosis of your problem tech A!

sarcasm noted

tatum31 08-18-2010 08:09 AM

no shit sherlock

tatum31 08-18-2010 08:09 AM

did you not notice the haha.....

boredom 08-18-2010 08:13 AM

i did, i was just wondering why instead of calling your job and saying "hey my car isnt running right, i am going to be a tad late" you risked the life of your motor and probably crushed a valve or two, not to mention ran your motor hot.

Fabrik8 08-18-2010 08:14 AM

Don't ever put any kind of conditioner on a timing belt. Ever. This goes for all other chemicals too.

And don't even bother putting it on any other belt, because new accessory belts are so cheap that there isn't any reason to keep using a belt that is worn/old enough to tempt you to condition it.

It also sounds like you need to learn how to do basic maintenance on your car.