Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Loss of Oil pressure causing shut down

Old 08-14-2010, 04:19 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seabee has disabled reputation
Exclamation Loss of Oil pressure causing shut down

I own an '02 Chevy Camaro V6 with the 3800 series II. It will run fine then drop all oil pressure causing shut down of the vehicle. When the oil pressure sensor is unplugged it will start and run fine, When plugged in it will run for approx. 10 min. and as soon as you put it in drive it shuts down and will refuse to start. I am told by my mechanic friends that it may be the sensor being gunked up needing cleaned or replaced...as well as the oil pump may be bad (Hopefully not)...Any info or hints to what it may be would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:49 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Loss of Oil pressure causing shut down

i wouldn't run the engine very much without actually knowing whether you have good oil pressure or not. Put an oil pressure gauge on it (you don't have to do an permanent install if you don't want) and see what's actually going on. I wouldn't imagine that the oil pump would suddenly stop working after a certain amount of time running every time you start it, so I'm leaning toward a sensor problem. The sensor might be heating up and failing after a certain time after it gets power, or it may be something to do with how the ECU the sensor input in the engine management strategy.

Either way, I'd put an oil pressure gauge on it and see if you're going to potentially damage something.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:01 PM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

You just answered your own question, pump or sensor it's not gonna be anything else
Old 08-16-2010, 06:15 AM

actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball

They are also well known for building up sludge and clogging the oil pickup screen.

Test sensor, test sensor port with mechanical gauge, then drop the pan.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

sensor has been replaced, and still will not start...i really am not that mechanically inclined and i am not tryin to break the whole front end to parade rest. Not sure if the screen is clogged that will be my next learn as i go venture...
Old 08-28-2010, 08:19 PM

actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball

Remove oil pressure sensor and test with mechanical gauge.

You can actually fool your ecm/computer with some inline resistors, but you better be sure you have actual good pressure
Old 08-29-2010, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for all advice...and i will find out soon enough what the problem is