Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Let's talk about tuning!

Old 12-29-2012, 09:07 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ImKrue has disabled reputation
Question Let's talk about tuning!

Hello VA.

So I've been around here for a little bit, but I rarely ever see any talk about tuning. I drive a GSR with plenty of mods on it, but I've been told more than once by friends that tuning would be the best way to get it all out of my mods. This is completely true, and I know it.

I admit, I don't know a lot. But I'm more then willing to learn.

What are the best methods of tuning?

Chipped ECUs, whats about that?

Hondata, sounds nice, pricey, but I never talked to someone about it.

What are , in your opinion, the better methods of , and better types of, tuning an N/A car? And what about a forced induction setup?

Thanks for everyones time.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:16 PM
Go cry to momma

Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness
Default Re: Let's talk about tuning!

Depends on your budget and your tuner's skill/capability. Chipped ECU's are a dime-a-dozen nowadays, but most real tuners can do the more popular systems. Pick a tuner, unless you're attempting to do it yourself, and see what system they're most comfortable with.

Last edited by Nunyabidness; 12-29-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:22 PM
Registered member

ImKrue has disabled reputation

You said, shue, ramey , and what else to search for? You edited while I was skyping.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:36 PM
Go cry to momma

Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness

Shue, Ramey and Shad. Shue's up in NOVA, other two guys are 757
Old 12-29-2012, 09:36 PM
Unregistered Member

Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis.

chrome, hondata, aem, and neptune are i guess the major 4 in the honda world. chrome is cheap, can work good if the tuner knows what he's doing. hondata is better, more flexibility. aem is completely in the tuner's hands, as in he can make it do whatever he wants. neptune is garbage.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

power2weight power2weight power2weight power2weight power2weight power2weight power2weight power2weight power2weight power2weight power2weight
Default Let's talk about tuning!

Hondata or aem, I prefer hondata. Very easy to find a tuner for either.

Best advise, save up the money and do it right.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:10 AM
Sheeeit

Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch

Originally Posted by ImKrue
You said, shue, ramey , and what else to search for? You edited while I was skyping.
Shue and Ramey are both reputable tuners that have more than enough clients on this site to vouch for them. I know quite a few people personally who have done multiple high end builds who all swear by Matt Shue.

And mods or no mods you would be more than surprised what a good tune can do for even an all 100 % stock gsr....
Old 12-30-2012, 01:17 AM
MOAR REP PLZ

Beans90CRX Beans90CRX Beans90CRX Beans90CRX Beans90CRX Beans90CRX Beans90CRX Beans90CRX Beans90CRX Beans90CRX Beans90CRX

I've personally have had Matt Shue tune lots of my vehicles and customers as well. He definitely knows what he's doing and is worth driving a bit to have him tune for you.

Contact him and let him know what your engine setup is for the best recommendation on what engine management system to run. Although if you wan't to make a lot of power Hondata and AEM are most likely the way you'll want to go. http://www.shuetuning.net/

If hes too far there's is also the other mentioned tuners above, Ramey, Shad, etc. who I've also heard very good things about.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:07 AM
Registered member

mikejones002100 has disabled reputation

I'd only recommend shue or j.mills tuning in carolina ..
Old 12-30-2012, 04:50 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If you're talking about the 99 GSR in your signature, you're going to need an OBD1 (92-95) P72 ECU if you still have the GSR intake manifold, and an adapter harness to convert to the earlier year ECU connectors. Your 99 ECU isn't able to be chipped, which is why you need the earlier ECU.

Quick Reply: Let's talk about tuning!