Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

late 80s prelude question

Old 08-21-2003, 09:22 PM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the rough
Default late 80s prelude question

the boxy style prelude 2.0 si's came with early gen b20s didnt they? would this motor be suitable for possibly building a b20vtec or b20 turbo? if so what would be the bear essentials needed in the bottom end to make it reliable? thinking about possibly getting one and building/turboing it, so any info would be appreciated.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:41 PM
BOXIN YOU

gen4H22A is an unknown quantity at this point

Hard to tune b20 vtecs because they are rare! But if u get it right, it will be bad ass
Old 08-22-2003, 10:20 AM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

Those B20's are pretty weak motors, and finding one without very high miles that doesn't burn oil would be a task, so you're probably looking at a full build if you go that route.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:11 PM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

TPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the rough

well one came through work today and i scraped the dust off the engine code, and it was actually a b21. id still like to look into it, seems like it would be cool, since not many people have quick boxy ludes. plus i think it could have protential. any other opinions? i know some hardcore honda tuners are on this site, i want to hear what they think!
Old 08-22-2003, 07:13 PM
Die reinste Bösen.

gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear

actually, i think it would be trick to put a new school prelude engine in the old school prelude, it would be custom of course, but thats the shit that will get you into magazines... that and some mugen rims
Old 08-22-2003, 07:23 PM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

the b20 you are talking about was the worst honda motor ever built. the geometry of the internals is horrible, the r/s ratio sucks, and the bottom end is just weak as hell overall. thats why you dont see people doing it.
Old 08-23-2003, 07:15 AM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

yeah i was talking to john yesterday, and decided if i were to do it, it would be with an obd2 crv b20 plugged into the pre obd lude. and as far as the h22a4 in the older lude... thats the one thing i actually have seen done before.
Old 08-23-2003, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

TRBO SUX is an unknown quantity at this point

the b20/21 from the ludes is completely different from the b20 from the crv. The head will not line up anyhow, the studs have to be modified, and as with other /vtec conversions, it wont have oil squirters in the block. So give the motor 10k miles before you spin a bearing.
Old 08-23-2003, 12:13 PM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

He's not talking about mating pieces from the first gen B20 with the second gen B20. He's talking about replacing the first gen B20 with the second gen.