Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Knocking sound from motor, changed oil+filter 5days ago

Old 06-17-2006, 10:23 AM
U LòÓk Mad !!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these parts
Default Knocking sound from motor, changed oil+filter 5days ago

As the title says, I had my oil and oil filter chaged 5 days ago. It's now Sat and as I was driving I could here a knocking noise coming from somewhere in my motor.
Last time I had this problem was when I first got the car about 6weeks ago, and I brought it to Driftek, we figured the car was low on oil and that I was hearing my lifters. We filled it back up without draining it cuz there was next to nothing in there, and the knocking went away.
Just last week the knocking started again, so I had it completely drained and the filter changed on Mon.
When the oil was changed on Mon, they put it 10W30 High Milage cuz the motor has 155K+ miles on it.

Is my car burning oil really bad, or is there another possible problem??
Old 06-17-2006, 11:13 AM
Banned

DOHC crx VTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Knocking sound from motor, changed oil+filter 5days ago

Do you have the stock KA motor? It kinda sounds like you have a Rod knock going on. I'd check your oil, and see if it's leaking it or not, and as well do a compression check just to be safe if the rings are going bad and letting oil roam free. Does your car smoke at all? are there any visable signs of leakage?
Old 06-17-2006, 11:46 AM
U LòÓk Mad !!

CarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these parts

1. yup......stock KA24E
2. Its not leaving any fluids on the ground after being parked for a long time
3. The car lets out a puff of Blue Smoke on startup
4. It did leave a trail of blue smoke under decent acceleration, but isn't doing that anymore since having the oil and filter changed on Monday
5. I have to let the car sit for a while before checking the oil level, cuz i just took it out to check for any smoke
6. Dunno how to do a compression check I've had no previous hands on stuff with cars, nothing aside from chaging out lights, and helping spray interiors....yes I'm a n00B and I'm learning as I go on, and yes this is my first car I may not know how to do many things yet, but I do read up on whatever I need to before trying to fix something on my car, so any links or things like that are welcome

Any and all help, with my car is appreciated, and this forum will be seeing a lot of questions outta me as things come up

Last edited by CarShowz; 06-17-2006 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

murphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these parts

put some thinner oil. didnt read it at all sorry, byt valv tap on ka's is very common. oh yea and you should let me get that piggy lip. come join 240sxforums. trust me alot more knowlegable people who know what there talking about. dont worry if your a noob or not
people will still help yea, unless just want to be assholes. hell the car in my avatar is my first car too

Last edited by murphy660; 06-17-2006 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:22 PM
Banned

Doing a Compression check is easy. It may not be necessary(sp) but its always good to know what kind of compression you have, which in some cases can determine an internal problem. You will need a compression tester like this ()

all you need to do is remover one spark plug at a time while the other spark plug wires are disconnected insert the end of the compression tester in it, screw it in like a spark plug kinda, and then crank the car over till the needle stops moving. and wala your results.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:34 PM
Works on S2000's.

C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory

Originally Posted by DOHC crx VTEC
all you need to do is remover one spark plug at a time while the other spark plug wires are disconnected insert the end of the compression tester in it, screw it in like a spark plug kinda, and then crank the car over till the needle stops moving. and wala your results.
you're supposed to remove all the spark plugs at once, before you do a compression test, and its a good idea to pull the fuel pump fuse or relay as well.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SLO ACRD
you're supposed to remove all the spark plugs at once, before you do a compression test, and its a good idea to pull the fuel pump fuse or relay as well.

Damn, then someone tought me wrong. WTF.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:43 PM
U LòÓk Mad !!

Originally Posted by murphy660
put some thinner oil. didnt read it at all sorry, byt valv tap on ka's is very common. oh yea and you should let me get that piggy lip. come join 240sxforums. trust me alot more knowlegable people who know what there talking about. dont worry if your a noob or not
people will still help yea, unless just want to be assholes. hell the car in my avatar is my first car too
thinner oil.......like 5w30 eventhough the motor has such high mileage? 155k+
and the lip stays sorry LoL......theres a crack in it anyway

Last edited by CarShowz; 06-17-2006 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:44 PM
U LòÓk Mad !!

Originally Posted by SLO ACRD
hmmmm OK.....gotta get a compression tester though
Old 06-17-2006, 03:26 PM
holla

j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3

How many miles has it been since your last oil change? I had a neon and the guy i bought it from never changed the oil and as soon as i changed it i spun a rod bearing. Does the knocking get louder as you hit the gas more or is it steady? Does it ever go away?

Quick Reply: Knocking sound from motor, changed oil+filter 5days ago