Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

knocking/clicking noise when I brake

Old 03-21-2008, 06:07 PM
I <3 KARMA!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
resideinVA has disabled reputation
Default knocking/clicking noise when I brake

okay so 2 or 3 days ago im heading down the road and i hear this knocking noise when i start to hit the brakes right before i come to a complete stop. I have no idea what it could be. So the next day i jack it up and look under to check all the cv axles and joints and other suspension components to see if thats maybe what its from..nothing. all the boots are fine. There is a boot torn on the tie rod end i believe but it doesnt move or make any noise. Well i proceed to just spin the wheel and i hear this loud clicking/knocking noise coming from the axles! it sounds like if you put a playing card in the spoke of a bike tire...but its pretty loud. the tranny has an LSD so i was told but it has never made that noise before. not sure if that make any difference on the matter
the problem has gotten worse and its far more frequent and louder like its coming from both axles and not just the passenger side and now i can somewhat hear the knocking when i go over a bump or whatever imperfection in the road there may be
any kind of input would be greatly appreciated
thanks in advance
Old 03-21-2008, 07:34 PM
Bearded.

DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO
Default Re: knocking/clicking noise when I brake

-possibly your axle nuts are loose?
-brake pad has broken off the rivets, and is just slapping around inside the caliper
-wheel bearings (dont usually go out at the same time)
-loose lug nuts?

worst case scenario is that your tranny is going to shit, but thats dosent make sense that you only hear it when your braking? that would happen all the time.

get in your car, drive it about 20 mph, and put it in neutral, if the noise is still there...its not your tranny.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:36 AM
I <3 KARMA!

resideinVA has disabled reputation

thanks man. ill do the 20 mph thing. but i think its till there cus i almost always put it in neutral and just cruise to a stop. but ill check out the other stuff but i think its like inside of the axles? is there anything that can go wrong internally? when i spin the driver side wheel the passenger obviously turns with the lsd but it makes a LOUD clicking sound so thats why im thinkin its got something to do with that because its like when i put stress on them while slowing down fast they make the knocking sound. and it getting progessively worse. im trying to avoid taking it to a shop to get it looked for the time being
and i know the lug nuts arent loose so thats ruled out
Old 03-22-2008, 01:37 AM
Fidel runs VBPD

The_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud of

ball joint or tie rod.