Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

KA24E Rocker arm issue

Old 12-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
David S12 David S12 David S12 David S12 David S12 David S12 David S12 David S12 David S12 David S12 David S12
Angry KA24E Rocker arm issue

well damn, i picked up a KA24e that runs, but the rocker arm studs have been loosened

well i went to tighten them, and i noticed one of those clips starting to bend upward as i tightened it

so i was like wtf, and i tried the same bracket from my parts ka
no luck

10 pounds of pressure i used

why did it do that!

please help

Last edited by David S12; 12-07-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: KA24E Rocker arm issue

It looks like something is missing underneath the clip. Notice how the clip on the right is obviously higher (top picture), and how the bent clip (bottom picture) is resting on the shoulder of the cylindrical piece that it sits on. So it looks like something is missing underneath it, and when it gets tightened down it's bending the clip over that shoulder as the clip goes past it.

Without seeing a parts blowup I can't picture in my head what would be missing on that part of the head, or how it could be misaligned.

Are those rocker shafts symmetrical, so the flat on the rocker shaft where the clip goes may be in the wrong spot? Or are the clips not symmetrical and it is turned around the wront way? It really doesn't look like the clip is in the right spot on the flat area on the shaft. You might want to take off the rockers and rocker shafts, and check that everything is installed properly. I'd bet that's why everything wasn't tightened all the way.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 12-07-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

David S12 David S12 David S12 David S12 David S12 David S12 David S12 David S12 David S12 David S12 David S12
Default Re: KA24E Rocker arm issue

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
It looks like something is missing underneath the clip. Notice how the clip on the right is obviously higher (top picture), and how the bent clip (bottom picture) is resting on the shoulder of the cylindrical piece that it sits on. So it looks like something is missing underneath it, and when it gets tightened down it's bending the clip over that shoulder as the clip goes past it.

Without seeing a parts blowup I can't picture in my head what would be missing on that part of the head, or how it could be misaligned.

Are those rocker shafts symmetrical, so the flat on the rocker shaft where the clip goes may be in the wrong spot? Or are the clips not symmetrical and it is turned around the wront way? It really doesn't look like the clip is in the right spot on the flat area on the shaft. You might want to take off the rockers and rocker shafts, and check that everything is installed properly. I'd bet that's why everything wasn't tightened all the way.

alright this is what i did to solve the problem maybe

i noticed that it doesnt fit in the slip, on EITHER one, so i swapped rocker arms from my parts KA to test fit it..

i spend like 2 hours trying to fit the damn tab in there when i said FUCK IT,

instead of using that SPECIFIC clip, i used one from another section on the rocker arm, and bam. im home free fits perfect...

guhh this is driving me crazy, is that safe? it looks perfect, just the metal clip is different, i set both clips side to side, they look almost the same but one doesnt fit in th slit