VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   JDM HiD questions (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/jdm-hid-questions-456464/)

phravaldad 10-30-2012 12:51 PM

JDM HiD questions

Make: Acura
Model: Integra GS-R
Year: 96
Engine/Modifications in relation to the issue: B18C w/JDM Type R front end conversion (Done by a previous owner)
Issues/Questions: My passenger side ballast went out about 3 months ago. I found one online and replaced it just last weekend. The headlight worked perfectly for a couple of days but then i noticed it would come on about a second or two after the other one. Now it will only come on sporadically. (When it's on, it does stay on though)
Failed solutions until now: When i changed the ballast, i had to mount the ballast under the headlight behind the bumper, so i had to add to the wires. But without thinking, i just used the same wires the previous person had used. I can hear it buzzing when i try to turn them on, so i'm thinking it's a loose connection. I'm going to try to rewire it. I'm really just looking for advice on what gauge wire to use and whether or not crimping the connections is okay to do, or should i buy a soldering gun and connect them that way? Whatever advice i can get would be great.

buzzkill. 10-30-2012 04:57 PM

Re: JDM HiD questions

I would say take the HIV's out and put the stock headlights in. Less problems with an already broken car. They don't make you look cool and they blind other drivers.

Fabrik8 10-31-2012 03:26 AM

You're probably using a really cheap HID kit, which is where most of the problems will come from.

phravaldad 11-01-2012 03:42 PM

i'm pretty sure the HiD isn't cheap, it's the jdm oem set-up that comes with those front ends. the ballasts are the big black boxes that are supposed to mount to the back of the headlight assembly. But because of the size of the ballasts is why i had to remotely mount that one behind the bumper. (The ABS unit takes up too much room in that corner of the engine compartment.) I'm just looking for some advice on the wiring because i can do what needs to be done, i'm just new to the whole HiD thing and i don't want to fry anything. this stuff is pricey and i am not livin' like that, if you know what i mean.

Lord Humongous 11-01-2012 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by phravaldad (Post 7980067)
i'm pretty sure the HiD isn't cheap, it's the jdm oem set-up that comes with those front ends

Sure

Lay Zee H 11-01-2012 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by phravaldad (Post 7980067)
i'm pretty sure the HiD isn't cheap, it's the jdm oem set-up that comes with those front ends. the ballasts are the big black boxes that are supposed to mount to the back of the headlight assembly. But because of the size of the ballasts

That's usually a good indicator that the ballast isn't the OEM one.

phravaldad 11-01-2012 06:01 PM

No, that's the ballast that comes on the headlight. It is the JDM OEM headlight and ballast for the Type R HiD conversion.

Lay Zee H 11-01-2012 06:26 PM

So you just admitted its not the right one for your car. There's your problem

Trinidad James 11-01-2012 08:11 PM

jdm hids... seems legit

wright 11-02-2012 05:54 AM

The best thing to do is to contact a company that does oem hid retrofits and talk to them.