Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Jdm gsr swap help

Old 12-19-2010, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VTECjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jdm gsr swap help

I'm new to doing swaps on my own so any help would be appreciated thanks. Well I recently swapped a jdm obd1 gsr into a 1992 civic hatch cx, I ran wires for vtec and also wires for a 4 wire o2 sensor. My question is why when I have the jdm p72 ecu hooked up the engine acts like its choking and it sounds almost like the internals are clicking and clacking for lack of better words but when I put a usdm p28 the car runs fine. Is there something I'm missing or wired wrong? What ecu can I use to get the full potential out of the motor? If anybody can help I would appreciate thanks.

Last edited by VTECjunkie; 12-20-2010 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:31 AM
woot! :D

The Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Jdm gsr swap help

Is it boosted? I dont know honda's very well but it might need a tune. Then again, Im not totally sure what you mean by "clicking and clacking."
Old 12-20-2010, 07:11 AM
Registered Member

No its not boosted, the noise is almost like a metal on metal sound. It only does it when I plug the jdm p72 ecu in it and when I plug the p28 ecu it runs normal. Is there a reason why the jdm ecu that belongs to this motor doesnt work.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:14 AM
######

L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K

If the car is running fine with the P28, why change it?
Old 12-20-2010, 07:16 AM
woot! :D

The Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these parts

Yeah. I would keep the one it runs fine with on. And metal on metal like a bunch of rocks rattling in a metal can?
Old 12-20-2010, 07:23 AM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

Originally Posted by VTECjunkie
No its not boosted, the noise is almost like a metal on metal sound. It only does it when I plug the jdm p72 ecu in it and when I plug the p28 ecu it runs normal. Is there a reason why the jdm ecu that belongs to this motor doesnt work.
jdm doesn't mean superior,run the p28
Old 12-20-2010, 07:39 AM
its just a website

couped couped couped couped couped couped couped couped couped couped couped

if its still obd1 then p28
Old 12-20-2010, 09:06 AM
Registered Member

Thanks guys for all your info. Another question with the p28 does it affect my performance of the gsr?
Old 12-20-2010, 09:55 AM
its just a website

couped couped couped couped couped couped couped couped couped couped couped

its better than the p27 that was for 92-95 single cams
the p28 was from the si, so a performance add is probable
Old 12-20-2010, 10:45 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If you're using the dual runner GSR manifold with the secondary IABs, the P28 won't have control for that. Also, P28s don't have a knock sensor board, so no knock sensor functionality (that's the only physical difference between a P28 and a P30 in case you're wondering). A P28 will have fuel and ignition maps for the single cam engine, so it's not really ideal for a GSR engine.

The P72 ECU you already have should work perfectly on that engine, so there is something else happening here.

My first thought is that you need to run wires for the knock sensor and for the IAB control (for the GSR intake manifold). The P28 doesn't care about either of those things, which probably explains the difference between the two ECUs.

So you're still missing some wiring, that's the quick answer.

Quick Reply: Jdm gsr swap help