VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   JB weld a tapped oil pan? (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/jb-weld-tapped-oil-pan-192196/)

laosboy301 06-15-2007 06:10 AM

JB weld a tapped oil pan?

is it good to use jb weld for the fitting to the oil pan?

tatmonster 06-15-2007 06:37 AM

Re: JB weld a tapped oil pan?

ive seen it done, but welding or using a fitting would be ideal

scr8dubbn 06-15-2007 06:50 AM

yes...its the best thing ever....make sure you use it to mate your manifold to your head too...with all that pressure from the turbo it will blow the stock to hell

Cpt. Non-Spell 06-15-2007 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by scr8dubbn (Post 3151741)
yes...its the best thing ever....make sure you use it to mate your manifold to your head too...with all that pressure from the turbo it will blow the stock to hell

you have got to be kidding.

Fabrik8 06-15-2007 07:52 AM

JB Weld doesn't belong on a car. Ever. Period. It's a garbage solution to problems that shouldn't be solved with adhesives to begin with, let alone crap quality adhesives like JB Weld.

Get a fitting welded or use a through pan with a nut, or a fitting with a bolt-on flange, like tatmonster said.. I like welded fittings best, they're super strong and you can use common hose fittings to mate with them. The football flange fittings are harder to find, and need a backing plate welded on (unless you want to take the pan off to get to the back and loosen nuts) but they work really well also.

Lol, I just used 'tatmonster' in a sentence. (insert Beavis laugh here)

I forgot to add something; JB Weld is f'n ghetto.

scr8dubbn 06-15-2007 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Cpt. Non-Spell (Post 3151858)
you have got to be kidding.

i mean come on...look at this post

Jarrod 06-15-2007 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Fabrik8 (Post 3151988)
JB Weld doesn't belong on a car. Ever. Period. It's a garbage solution to problems that shouldn't be solved with adhesives to begin with, let alone crap quality adhesives like JB Weld.

Get a fitting welded or use a through pan with a nut, or a fitting with a bolt-on flange, like tatmonster said.. I like welded fittings best, they're super strong and you can use common hose fittings to mate with them. The football flange fittings are harder to find, and need a backing plate welded on (unless you want to take the pan off to get to the back and loosen nuts) but they work really well also.

Lol, I just used 'tatmonster' in a sentence. (insert Beavis laugh here)

Sometimes you shouldn't even have to post.

Just let everyone else post. :)

neogenesis2004 06-15-2007 08:35 AM

On something like a honda where you can easily remove the oil pan you should get it welded. I personally used jbweld to secure my oil pan fitting, but that was on my miata where I would have to take out the motor to get the pan off because of the front subframe. It was running great for many thousands of miles and never sprung a leak. As far as I'm concerned it will work fine, but is not the ideal solution.

If you do end up doing it, jut make sure to clean the area very well with something like acetone before you apply it, or it won't stick.