Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

integra swap issues

Old 09-01-2009, 09:28 AM
やくざに成りたい

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
atmdc has disabled reputation
Default integra swap issues

Ok so my friends motor in his 94 integra ate shit when his timing belt broke. This car was a total hack job when he got it, it had a b20 head on a b18 block. Well when he bought a new motor, which was a 96ls which im assuming is obd2 as we were swapping it in I noticed that a few sensors were different than what we had taken out. there was a sensor by the crank shaft, one on the back of the block and another on the intake manifold.

I put the obd1 distributor on the motor and the complete obd1 intake manifold from the broken engine and also used the obd1 ecu. well the car wouldnt start. could the unused sensors cause this even though im using all of the plugs for obd1? or should i swap to obd2?

the obd1 ecu in the car had been chipped and tuned for the b20/b18 combo that was in there before.

sorry if this is confusing, I will answer any questions to help clear things up
Old 09-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

1rude2l has disabled reputation
Default Re: integra swap issues

Sensor by the crank pulley is a crank fluctuation sensor. Obd1 cars do not use this, so don't worry about that one. Not sure which on the back of the block you are talking about.
Ecu he has should start the car, i would check all the grounds. Especially one on the tranny and thermostat housing.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:50 PM
やくざに成りたい

those grounds are hooked up tight. it may be oil pressure or knock sensor on the back of the block im guessing. the wiring in the car was a lil shady so im not even sure now
Old 09-03-2009, 09:46 AM
やくざに成りたい

any other suggestions?
Old 09-03-2009, 09:58 AM
Registered Member

jojowasha has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by atmdc
those grounds are hooked up tight. it may be oil pressure or knock sensor on the back of the block im guessing. the wiring in the car was a lil shady so im not even sure now
Its either a spark, fuel, or mechanical issue. go back to the basics. i would test to see if the car is getting spark 1st. If it is I would play around with the distributor a little bit. you cant expect the car to start right up after you throw a distributor on it. just loosen the bolt and rotate it little by little.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:06 PM
ben
Registered Member

ben has disabled reputation

Did you plug the map sensor and tps sensor in right or maybe you have them backwards? I would also re-check all my grounds, then check them again, then have your buddy check them and someone from down the street check them. Then as jojo said go back to basics, check if you have fuel, if you do see if you have spark. If you have both of these it might be timing issue, did you check the timing on the motor before you put it in the car?
Old 09-03-2009, 10:01 PM
やくざに成りたい

Originally Posted by jojowasha
Its either a spark, fuel, or mechanical issue. go back to the basics. i would test to see if the car is getting spark 1st. If it is I would play around with the distributor a little bit. you cant expect the car to start right up after you throw a distributor on it. just loosen the bolt and rotate it little by little.
I tried that with the distributor turning it and it was a no go. also pulled out plug wires and held it to a ground and had spark

Originally Posted by ben
Did you plug the map sensor and tps sensor in right or maybe you have them backwards? I would also re-check all my grounds, then check them again, then have your buddy check them and someone from down the street check them. Then as jojo said go back to basics, check if you have fuel, if you do see if you have spark. If you have both of these it might be timing issue, did you check the timing on the motor before you put it in the car?
im pretty sure the map and tps are in the right spot, but its worth a try to switch them. guess it would have been smart to check the cam timing before putting it in the car, but i trusted the guy he bought it from so i didnt. ill do that too.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:44 PM
ben
Registered Member

ben has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by atmdc
I tried that with the distributor turning it and it was a no go. also pulled out plug wires and held it to a ground and had spark

im pretty sure the map and tps are in the right spot, but its worth a try to switch them. guess it would have been smart to check the cam timing before putting it in the car, but i trusted the guy he bought it from so i didnt. ill do that too.
Ok so we have spark what about fuel?
Old 09-04-2009, 11:36 PM
やくざに成りたい

pretty sure theres fuel, there was right before swapping it.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Ramey Built

JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt

are there any CEL's when you try to start it? can you hear the fuel pump priming? you said the ecu is chipped. sometimes if you kick the ecu or drop it or mistreat it, the tune can be erased. if that's the case, it will throw a solid CEL.

Quick Reply: integra swap issues