Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Integra GSR won't shift into gears since it's gotten cold.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IRR0MPIBLE has disabled reputation
Default Integra GSR won't shift into gears since it's gotten cold.

So I just got this car in March or April, thus I have not experienced cold weather with it. This just started today.
It shifts fine after warming the car up to normal operating temperature, but after driving for awhile in this cold weather, particularly after cruising in 5th for long periods, it won't go into the gears. ie, I will drive on the interstate for 35 minutes or more and then come to a stop somewhere and cannot shift into 1st. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:30 PM
Temporary ######

Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor
Default Re: Integra GSR won't shift into gears since it's gotten cold.

Sounds like your gear oil has gone bad and needs to be changed. When the oil goes bad it gets thick qnd when cold it makes it difficult to shift. Change it out with synthetic and your issue should be fixed.

P.S. If you had googled and had searched for 5spd will not shift when cold, you wouldn't have needed this thread.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:15 AM
Registered Member

IRR0MPIBLE has disabled reputation
Default Re: Integra GSR won't shift into gears since it's gotten cold.

It actually ended up being that the clutch fluid reservoir was nearly empty. Put some dot3 in it and problem solved.
I actually did google before posting and came up with so many varying results, I made the thread. Theoretically, you could google anything that could be posted in tech talk, but people still make threads.