Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Integra gsr engine smoke?

Old 08-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jdmfuture jdmfuture jdmfuture jdmfuture jdmfuture jdmfuture jdmfuture jdmfuture jdmfuture jdmfuture jdmfuture
Default Integra gsr engine smoke?

I just got a 2000 gsr stock, just has a straight pipe exhaust and a strut bar, 94,500 miles onit. Was pulling up to my driveway at night and came to a stop and noticed in my head light smoke coming out from the very right headlight smoke coming through, it looked fairly whit/grey from what I could see. I hit vtec maybe a minute before hand probly about 5500 rpm. is this normal? popped the hood and it looked to me like it was coming from around the headers, the headers are stock...idk whats up
Old 08-24-2010, 04:14 AM
Registered Member

Mindless is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Integra gsr engine smoke?

Oil leak.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:43 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Yeah, probably oil getting on the header. Give the engine a good cleaning and you'll be able to see where it's coming from. Most likely it's the VTEC solenoid gasket or the valve cover gasket though; those are the two usual suspects. Both are really easy to replace though, so no worries.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:37 AM
Band

paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Yeah, probably oil getting on the header. Give the engine a good cleaning and you'll be able to see where it's coming from. Most likely it's the VTEC solenoid gasket or the valve cover gasket though; those are the two usual suspects. Both are really easy to replace though, so no worries.
this. my friend has had chronic oil leak problems with his valve cover gasket. keep your fingers crossed that it's this and not the head gasket as that is not quite as easy/cheap to replace.

look into some gasket sealent. if this is the route you need to take check out 3bond. they're the best imho. (hondabond isn't bad either)
Old 08-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

If he has quality o-rings, gaskets, etc then he shouldn't need any rtv or gasket sealant.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:28 PM
Band

paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket

^^^ one would most likely assume.
but methinks his valve cover was warped or nicked or something along those lines.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Registered Member

Crazier things have happened for sure. RTV still should be a last resort though IMO.

Some asshole slobbed rtv all over the dist o-ring on my gsr. Took me a half hour to get all that shit off.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

jdmfuture jdmfuture jdmfuture jdmfuture jdmfuture jdmfuture jdmfuture jdmfuture jdmfuture jdmfuture jdmfuture

Alright guys thanks, Im probably taking it up to Innovative tomarrow to see what it could possibly need done.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:23 PM
Band

Originally Posted by Mindless
Crazier things have happened for sure. RTV still should be a last resort though IMO.

Some asshole slobbed rtv all over the dist o-ring on my gsr. Took me a half hour to get all that shit off.
yea that's what I like about threebond. it's fairly easy to clean off but still seals as good as hondabond.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:53 PM

99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute

the proper way to do a valve cover gasket requires the use of rtv not a lot a dab at each cam tower.

Quick Reply: Integra gsr engine smoke?