Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Injectors not opening (EK Type-r)

Old 06-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright
Default Injectors not opening (EK Type-r)

This is my first post on the tech so I hope that all of the information conveys.

Car: 1999 civic Dx coupe
Engine: 96-98 spec Type-R
Ecu: Stock OBD2A Type-R
Jumper harness: Rywire OBD2B to O BD2A ecu
Engine harness: stock DX harness modifies to work with the Type-R engine
Ok so this is the issue, number 2 and 3 injector will not spray any fuel into the cylinder and the car sounds like a dirt bike when running.

Trouble shooting so far:
We swapped the injectors from the number one and four cylinder and place them in the number two and three cylinder and still have the same results.

Checked to make sure that there are no breaks in the wires using a volt meter.

Pulled all of the injectors and hooked a ground and a hot wire to them to make sure that they are in working order and all seems good.

Checked to make sure that the wires going trough the engine harness all the way to the ecu are pinned out right and they are as well as to make sure that there is no breaks in the wires either.

The modification to the harness consisted of removing the entire factory tape and wire loom from the harness and I moved all of the wires to make them long enough with out cutting and splicing them. No wires were disconnected from the plugs other than the O2 to make it cleaner. Had to cut and splice the 3 wire IACV to make it work with the Type-R IACV. Also Comp: is 200 across all cylinders.

The only CEL is 21 which is Vtec because it is not hooked up at the moment.

Thanks for any help. Please do not say to check the grounds because that is not the issue in this case.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:54 AM
da dragva kokopelli

mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz
Default Re: Injectors not opening (EK Type-r)

how did you remove the the tape from the original wire harness???
Old 06-27-2009, 02:02 PM
Registered member

No to be a smart ass, but how do you think I removed it. I used a razor blade and took my time to make sure that I only cut the tape and then pealed it off of the loom. None of the wires are cut. If they were we would not be getting continuity.

Also I tried the ECU in my dads hatch that we did a year ago. Same swap except that it is converted to OBD2A for the type-r ecu.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:16 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Hitting the basics;
Are these the exact same injectors? (Same resitance)
So no matter what, its your 2&3 injector that isn't firing?

I'm leaning toward the driver on the ECU if thats the case, you have an ECU to swap out?
Old 06-28-2009, 07:55 AM
Registered member

All of the injectors are the same. They are around 12.1 to 12.2 when checked with an ohm meter. I know that it is not the ecu or if it is it is f-ing with me since it works fine in two other cars with our an issue.

Yes when number one and four injector is moved to the number two and three location on the fuel rail they will not spray fuel. We have checked and checked that we are getting spark just fine. Also the spark plugs in two and three are dry and do not smell like fuel at all.

Originally Posted by wright

Also I tried the ECU in my dads hatch that we did a year ago. Same swap except that it is converted to OBD2A for the type-r ecu.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:04 AM
da dragva kokopelli

mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz

Originally Posted by wright
No to be a smart ass, but how do you think I removed it. I used a razor blade and took my time to make sure that I only cut the tape and then pealed it off of the loom. None of the wires are cut. If they were we would not be getting continuity.

thats what i was thinking you did. but since you say you didnt do it. then ionno what your problem is. gl
Old 06-28-2009, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

brandon.beene can only hope to improve

i dont know if this is the case but maybe its cloged somewhere, if they are all working except those 2 spots something is wrong with the "spot" and maybe not the injectors, or wires...IDK just trying to give you a possibility
Old 06-28-2009, 09:59 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

I'm not familiar with the honda setups, (am with GM V6's though.) Usually they split a shared reference ground. However, you did say that you checked it with a voltmeter? How many reference grounds do you have for all four injectors?
Old 06-28-2009, 10:02 AM
doesn't like 1911s

~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh

Originally Posted by brandon.beene
i dont know if this is the case but maybe its cloged somewhere, if they are all working except those 2 spots something is wrong with the "spot" and maybe not the injectors, or wires...IDK just trying to give you a possibility

he could be on to something... i would pull the rail and check it out.

if there is good voltage, and they have been shown to open in the 1 and 4 positions... then they may just not be getting fuel from the rail

just my .02

Last edited by ~Josh; 06-28-2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Registered member

Originally Posted by zc91crx
he could be on to something... i would pull the rail and check it out
Considering the fuel rail probably runs down the line of cylinders, (1,2,3,4) I'd doubt it would be, but never hurts to check.

Quick Reply: Injectors not opening (EK Type-r)