Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

I'm not electrical savy but this doesn't make sense. . .

Old 11-30-2012, 07:07 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask
Default I'm not electrical savy but this doesn't make sense. . .

So for the VW golf I've been working on, when checked with the VAG-Com, I get an OC intermittent miss codes for all four coils. My experience has taught me that usually only one coil takes a dump so all four made me think another issue. Looking up the codes on ross tech, I came across a TSB annotating a grounding problem which seems more viable to me. (Which is also specific to 2002-2004 VW 2.0L's)

This is the TSB:

Repair wire 000 979 225 1
Repair wire 000 979 230 1
Butt splice 111 971 939 B 1
Seal 357 972 741 B

Those are the parts you need to repair the ground wire. New Beetle
• Locate and remove terminal from coil connector T6a / 1 (see appropriate Wiring Diagram if necessary).
• Terminate this wire by neatly taping it to the existing wire harness (do not cut wire).
Golf, Jetta, New Beetle:
• Cut repair wire 000 979 225 to 22 inches (558.8 mm) and install new seal; then slide seal near terminal,
see→ Required Parts and Tools.
• Cut repair wire 000 979 230 to 12 inches (304.8 mm).
• Splice repair wires together using butt splice; see → Required Parts and Tools. Do not substitute any other
wires when making and assembling the repair wire.
• When finished: correct repair wire length = 34 inches (863.6 mm)
• Heat butt splice using a heat gun from Repair Kit, see → Required Parts and Tools.
Golf, Jetta:
• Insert terminal into cavity T6d / 1 of coil connector.
For New Beetle:
• Insert terminal into cavity T6a / 1 of coil connector.
The issue I have is the following - The TSB states to not cut the previous ground wire but rather, run a new one and disconnect the old one. Why can't I just cut back about 3 inches from the connector and solder into the previous wire to re-use the connector? Also, it has me putting a random crimp connector in the wire - for what reason I don't know; strain relief? Thoughts appreciated.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:26 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask
Default Re: I'm not electrical savy but this doesn't make sense. . .

So the only thing I can think of now, is that the wire comes prefabbed with the pin on it, but isn't long enough to reach an appropriate ground. For this, they have you splice two wires together to make it long enough.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:42 AM
corona connessuer

CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA

sounds like a grounding issue to me as well. ive heard about this before also. i would simply splice into the existing ground and run another wire or 2 to other grounding points. this would have to depend on the connection in the plug being good though to be of any use.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:07 AM
Registered member

Did it during lunch, Spliced in, soldered and heat shrink where needed, and grounded straight to battery. Car runs buttery smooth now. Thanks!
Old 11-30-2012, 09:22 AM
corona connessuer

CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA

was it running rough before or just throwing a code/s? ive seen them run fine but still have the code. let me know if this seems to fix the problem or the code returns.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:25 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

The problem is the vag part... you ever try communicating with a vag?
Old 11-30-2012, 09:33 AM
Registered member

Originally Posted by CHAHONDA
was it running rough before or just throwing a code/s? ive seen them run fine but still have the code. let me know if this seems to fix the problem or the code returns.
It was running a little rough. Nothing bad, but an intermittent weak spark if you will. It wasn't a full blown miss, but just the ever so slightest rough of an idle. Now you can't even feel the motor running.

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Never - too scary.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:35 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
I mean it took 6 posts for that to come about, you're slipping vadriven, you're slipping.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:39 AM
corona connessuer

i see that nothing has changed.....
Old 11-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Originally Posted by MORE IMPATIENT
I mean it took 6 posts for that to come about, you're slipping vadriven, you're slipping.
We're all getting old and the noobs are morons.