Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Ignition radio noise help

Old 06-06-2004, 03:11 PM
I <3 BOOST

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iceman05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Ignition radio noise help

I just put in my Crane HI-6 ignition, and i cant hardly hear any stations. I know the noise is coming from the ignition, but what can i do to sheild the wires or filter out the noise? Are the high voltage wires the only ones that cause the noise; ie: the wire from the coil to the dist. cap? Any help or ideas are welcome, thanks!
Old 06-07-2004, 05:54 AM
corona connessuer

CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA
Default Re: Ignition radio noise help

Originally Posted by Iceman05
I just put in my Crane HI-6 ignition, and i cant hardly hear any stations. I know the noise is coming from the ignition, but what can i do to sheild the wires or filter out the noise? Are the high voltage wires the only ones that cause the noise; ie: the wire from the coil to the dist. cap? Any help or ideas are welcome, thanks!
you may want to invest in a grounding kit or get an rf noise filter. are you using amplifiers???
Old 06-07-2004, 07:09 AM
BYAAARR!!!!!

SOHKis will become famous soon enough

check out cranes site, i think they have a section in the directions that deals w/trouble shooting noise. i think it has something to do w/the ground of the ignition. hooked mine up and i don't have any noise at all
Old 06-07-2004, 11:28 AM
loved by all

ForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these parts

deff. ground noise
Old 06-07-2004, 12:10 PM
Cut,it,out

VTFrontier

ground noise isolators dont work for shit so dont bother wasting your money. all i could say is get some good shielded RCAs and try and route any stereo related lines away from any power sources or wires. hope that helps
Old 06-07-2004, 12:20 PM
TTTTIIIMMMAAAAAYYY!

dxplicitone has a spectacular aura aboutdxplicitone has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by VT240
ground noise isolators dont work for shit so dont bother wasting your money. all i could say is get some good shielded RCAs and try and route any stereo related lines away from any power sources or wires. hope that helps
Actually you are wrong. Ground loop isolators are a great tool in elliminating "engine whine" but you get what you pay for.. and you need to buy a quality piece. When you purchase them from "Dollar tree" and expect it to work wonders sorry its not happening. Peripheral is the isolators i have used in may customer cars when feedback was picked up after an install. Good luck!
On another note... i wish people would not give false information as its hard to be on the recieving end of this info. Hes looking for a solution not more confusion.

Last edited by dxplicitone; 06-07-2004 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:23 PM
Cut,it,out

VTFrontier

just my experience with them. after re routing wires and making sure they were clear of power wires, the noise was gone. so i assumed the isolator wasnt doing anything. i guess in some situations thats different.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:37 PM
Custom User Title

mnchvgs79 is an unknown quantity at this point

As a general rule, noise in a car stereo is something not grounded well

There are a few things you can do:

put a loop in your coil wire (old trick, worth a try)

wrap your audio signal (RCA) cables in aluminum foil and secure with zip ties (ugly but does work)

buy new high quality RCA cables

ensure your signal and power cables do not run parellel to each other at all anywhere in the car

if your RCA cables have a small wire in the middle of them, I ensure you that is not a remote turn on wire, that is a ground wire. Ground the small wire to the chassis of your radio and to the other end to the body of the car.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:17 PM
I <3 BOOST

Iceman05 is an unknown quantity at this point

its not the RCAs that pick up the signal, the antenna picks up the noise. i guess i could wrap that... also, my coil wire doesnt have enough slack to loop. as far as grounds, everything worked fine b4 the ignition was put in, it even works when the car's not running. the only ground added was the one for the HI-6 box, and i made sure to strip all the paint and sand well. im pretty sure my existing grounds are good, but i could probably use a grounding kit.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:25 AM
TTTTIIIMMMAAAAAYYY!

dxplicitone has a spectacular aura aboutdxplicitone has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mnchvgs79
As a general rule, noise in a car stereo is something not grounded well
There are a few things you can do:

wrap your audio signal (RCA) cables in aluminum foil and secure with zip ties (ugly but does work)
Ohh thats a good one! Ghetto but good.