Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Idle Surge/Sputter After Accident (i FAIL)

Old 03-18-2009, 01:48 AM
:Uses Ninja-Focus:

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath
Unhappy Idle Surge/Sputter After Accident (i FAIL)

96' Integra LS B20B motor.

So i was driving @ about 2:30am this morning with a friend being a dumbass and not paying attention on an exit ramp going too fast, and the exit ramp got really sharp in this one area... sooooo needless to say i locked the brakes up like a SUPER dumbass started sliding n hit nose first into the concrete barrier, which then sent me into a 180 or 270 whatever spin and hit the rear end into the same wall and came to a rest.. wasn't too bad just scary anyways after i started the car back up it revved up to like 5000-6000 rpms n stayed then dropped and cut off. Got it to the gas station and one of my vacuum lines came off from the impact i guess to the fuel rail (maybe the pressure regulator thing-a-ma-bob?) neways started it back up and then it had an idle surge.. would go from 1000-2000rpms back and forth. Check all the vacuum lines, wires, and connectors. Nothing wrong. ????? any ideas? Dont see why the IACV would act up from a small collision.. and i dont believe it has an FITV its a 96.

Edit: sorry for the short story.. just weird that it happened after a wreck.

Last edited by JDMtoDeath; 03-18-2009 at 01:50 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:59 AM
Registered Member

TweederSi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Idle Surge/Sputter After Accident (i FAIL)

Originally Posted by JDMtoDeath
96' Integra LS B20B motor.

So i was driving @ about 2:30am this morning with a friend being a dumbass and not paying attention on an exit ramp going too fast, and the exit ramp got really sharp in this one area... sooooo needless to say i locked the brakes up like a SUPER dumbass started sliding n hit nose first into the concrete barrier, which then sent me into a 180 or 270 whatever spin and hit the rear end into the same wall and came to a rest.. wasn't too bad just scary anyways after i started the car back up it revved up to like 5000-6000 rpms n stayed then dropped and cut off. Got it to the gas station and one of my vacuum lines came off from the impact i guess to the fuel rail (maybe the pressure regulator thing-a-ma-bob?) neways started it back up and then it had an idle surge.. would go from 1000-2000rpms back and forth. Check all the vacuum lines, wires, and connectors. Nothing wrong. ????? any ideas? Dont see why the IACV would act up from a small collision.. and i dont believe it has an FITV its a 96.

Edit: sorry for the short story.. just weird that it happened after a wreck.

just take it off and clean it, the accident could of damaged it, but most likely the IACV is clogged with dirt or blow by oil.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:02 AM

JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath

Update: Cleaned IACV.. Studder stopped then came back after warming up. Adjusted TPS.. adjusted screw on TB.. nothing.. even when i unhook the TPS it makes no difference no worse no better maybe its bad? Also i unhooked the map sensor on the top of the throttle body any ideas of how the TPS could be broken inside from a small wreck?? Car now idles @ around 2,000 RPMS now and studders when i step on the gas like before.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:09 AM
Registered member

talonman has disabled reputation

Dk but something might have pinched a vacummn line in the accident. I dont know just throwing it out there
Old 03-18-2009, 09:55 AM

About to replace the Throttle body.. will a JDM B16 Throttle body work on a B20B?
Old 03-18-2009, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost

I'd look into the problem further before throwing money at it.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

SYCKDC23 has disabled reputation

stupid question but which vacuum line came off?
Old 03-19-2009, 12:56 AM

Update: Ok idle surge fixed n ull never guess what the problem was. Right when i was 2 seconds from buying a throttle body, i put in new spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor; I decided to take the throttle body off and take a look at it and there it was a fckn the butterfly was BENT... like WTF??? how in the hell did that possibly happen? Ne ways so now it doesn't surge much but i messed around with the distributor, throttle body adjustment screw, and the TPS n can't get it quite right yet. Runs but kinda bogs n slightly misses up until 3500RPM and idles @ 1500 RPM warm and 2000RPM cold. Any one know any tips for getting those three adjustments back to stock specs?? its a stock B20B P75 intake mani.. not that it matters.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:00 AM

It revvs up fine sitting still but once i start driving it bucks a lil and bogs like i said.. no where near as bad as before, but i can still feel the powerloss. Its running pretty rich too. Just need to get those three adjustments back to the way they're supposed to be and im good. BTW anyone kno wat spark plug gap to use? The ones i bought were NGK Iridiums gapped @ 0.44 but the ones that came out were @ 0.45 but all 4 were dry/wet fouled bad but all still functional.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:05 PM

help?

Quick Reply: Idle Surge/Sputter After Accident (i FAIL)