Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Idle Issues In Acura Integra

Old 05-07-2013, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aniretaKrace aniretaKrace aniretaKrace aniretaKrace aniretaKrace aniretaKrace aniretaKrace aniretaKrace aniretaKrace aniretaKrace aniretaKrace
Default Idle Issues In Acura Integra

I have a 1999 Acura Integra GSR and am having Idle issues. The head of the motor was recently rebuilt after it overheated (I HATE STOP LEAK and former owner's stupidity)

After the car heats up/ has been running for a while it starts to shake (engine shake which in turn shakes car, It gets worse the more I drive it, possibly because the engine has not fully cooled off 100%) It will idle real low a few times it has stalled out on its own. sometimes it jumps up and bogs back down. After messing around with it I am 99% positive it is external.

The crank position sensor was melted and I had it replaced. Not sure if the cam timing was set properly after that. the ignition timing is correct
Illimiated it being an issue with the Spark plugs/wires/ disputer (put a new cap and button on tested the rest etc)

Got error codes that went away on there own but they were
-Fuel trim Bank 1
-Bank 1 system to lean

Bad O2 sensor? I have a new one, going to throw that on today
I put injector cleaner in my tank, didnt hurt it, didnt make much of a difference
Adjusted the air flow with that screw on the throttle body (all the way out more air , all the way in less)
If normal Idle is 750 rpm mine always goes back down to 500 or less so I raised it up with the screw. I always goes back down less than that never sticks to what I set it at.
swapped out map sensors with a buddy, issues did not go away so swapped back.

Im thinking about changing the coolant temp sensor just to be safe. does the coolant temp sensor tell the computer anything else than hot/cold? would that affect my Idle? seeing this is a temperature thing and car seems to run fine at dead cold.

Has anyone else had these problems ? Is there anything else I am missing? Help
Old 05-07-2013, 06:48 AM
Registered member

sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl?
Default Idle Issues In Acura Integra

Does the engine smoke? Definitely need to check your timing.

The codes that you pulled make me think it's just a bad injector. But if they went away...either way I would have the cylinder 1 injector checked out. You may also be able to check yourself if your spark plugs aren't brand new. If cyl 1 isn't getting enough fuel the tip of the spark plug will be white.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:37 AM
Registered Member

aa4baseball has disabled reputation
Default Re: Idle Issues In Acura Integra

Definitely put the new O2 sensor in and see if that fixes anything. Any vacuum leaks can cause this. Also, clogged fuel filter or rail. You can always just pull injectors and take them to autozone or advanced, I know they can test them. However; I doubt they can tell you how efficiently that injector is operating. Its been a while since i've had to deal with any.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:50 AM

aniretaKrace aniretaKrace aniretaKrace aniretaKrace aniretaKrace aniretaKrace aniretaKrace aniretaKrace aniretaKrace aniretaKrace aniretaKrace

Originally Posted by sixcyl?
Does the engine smoke? Definitely need to check your timing.

The codes that you pulled make me think it's just a bad injector. But if they went away...either way I would have the cylinder 1 injector checked out. You may also be able to check yourself if your spark plugs aren't brand new. If cyl 1 isn't getting enough fuel the tip of the spark plug will be white.
No Smoke at all. Spark plugs are relatively new and I checked all of them
Old 05-07-2013, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by aa4baseball
Definitely put the new O2 sensor in and see if that fixes anything. Any vacuum leaks can cause this. Also, clogged fuel filter or rail. You can always just pull injectors and take them to autozone or advanced, I know they can test them. However; I doubt they can tell you how efficiently that injector is operating. Its been a while since i've had to deal with any.
No vacuum leaks at all either should have mentioned that in my first post, sorry
Old 05-07-2013, 08:06 AM
Registered member

sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl?

Originally Posted by aniretaKrace
Originally Posted by aa4baseball
No vacuum leaks at all either should have mentioned that in my first post, sorry
okay, if plugs are relatively new it could be a dying injector. I'm going to jump on the o2 sensor bandwagon for now though. If you still have issues after the install come back and let us know what it's doing.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:48 AM

10-4

next big question. is there a difference between a coolant temp sensor and coolant temp switch? and are there both on my car? i only see one. when i took it off to replace (had wrong part and had to put back on) it was flat on the inside unlike the probe one they gave me.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:58 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

There is a temp sensor for the ECU, and a temp switch (thermoswitch) for the fan. Replace the o2 sensor and see what happens. Could be a coolant temp sensor, but all the signs don't quite line up.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
There is a temp sensor for the ECU, and a temp switch (thermoswitch) for the fan. Replace the o2 sensor and see what happens. Could be a coolant temp sensor, but all the signs don't quite line up.

was waiting for your response :-)

yea gonna check that out tonight hopefully if time permits.
where is the temp sensor for thermo located? there is a sensor under the distributor but i dont know if that is oil or coolant, dont really feel like pulling it out to find out if someone can just tell me. it has a green connector on it if that makes a difference in identifying it
Old 05-07-2013, 02:01 PM
Registered member

sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg

Originally Posted by aniretaKrace
was waiting for your response :-)

yea gonna check that out tonight hopefully if time permits.
where is the temp sensor for thermo located? there is a sensor under the distributor but i dont know if that is oil or coolant, dont really feel like pulling it out to find out if someone can just tell me. it has a green connector on it if that makes a difference in identifying it
under the distributor there should be a sensor with a one wire connector that goes to the temp gauge, and the engine coolant temp sensor that screws in, has a bigger 2 wire plug on it. The oil pressure one is in the back of the block by the oil filter. The ect sensor does play a part in the fuel trim, it could possibly be the problem. My integra had an LS at one time with a bad ECT sensor and once it warmed up it would idle really low and sometimes die. It would accelerate fine, but struggle to idle. It threw a code for the bad sensor though, so easy to fix. Replace the ect sensor and then see how it runs its only like a $20 part. Also clean IACV and check intake air temp sensor after you replace the o2

Last edited by sleeperteg; 05-07-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Idle Issues In Acura Integra