Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

IDLE HELP

Old 06-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo
Default IDLE HELP

if i didnt post this in the correct forum sorry. but saturday my car which is a 1997 eclipse 420a non tubo it started to make a very high pitched sound. so i took the car apart looking for problem. wasnt sure what it could be and i found all the bearings idler pulley on the timing belt were gone. i understand there are 2 of these. so i replaced both. also i added a new water pump spark plugs and spark plug wires. i put on all new belts just the normal tune up while it was apart. while is was apart i noticed the timing was off alittle so i fixed the timing. so after all this was together i started the car and i had idle surge bad!

the car wanted to jump idle even in the 1800 rpm range it was messing up. so i checked the belt to see if it was tight and realized there was a pin in the belt tensinor which i removed so the belt would stay tight. STILL had idle surge. by this time i was done by trying to do it myself so i took the car to Dave Sarmadi where is was under test for about 3 hours. they said it was an idle air control. replaced it and STILL the same damn problem. except now it wants to cut off when i go to stop at a light. and will not start unless i pump the gas.

i read on DSMTUNERS.com several things that may be wrong causing it to do this. can i PLEASE get some feedback on what may be wrong thanks you very much!
Old 06-10-2009, 12:51 PM
Registered member

mondyva has disabled reputation
Default Re: IDLE HELP

you might have air in you coolant system, if you have a bleeder valve use it!
Old 06-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Reset the ECU, just in case the timing changes you made are messing with stored parameters somewhere. That probably won't fix it, but it's always worth a try.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:05 AM
Registered Member

eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo

thank you both. the car is sitting at a friends shop waiting on a map sensor to come in. if that doesnt work then i will reset the ECU to see what that does.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

so fed-ex lost the part 2 times then i got the part which was the wrong on and when i finally got the right map sensor it STILL ran like shit and on the way home it just cut completely off. so i guess it may be the ECU? im not sure. was looking at a 1jz Lexus? lol i think i would be better off with that.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Registered member

mondyva has disabled reputation

dude make sure the map is getting vac. if at all possible( this might sound gay) take you map and suck on the part where it gets the vac. and see if the idle smooths out. i'm into hondas, not dsm's so i'm not sure hwere your map is located, sorry.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:12 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by eyeGOsloo
lol i think i would be better off with that.
I think you would be better off learning how to troubleshoot with a factory service manual instead of randomly replacing things. The same problem you're having now could happen to any other car you buy, and you'd be randomly replacing stuff on that car too.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:43 AM
Registered Member

well i guess you didnt read the LOL part which kind of lead it to be a joke? so last time i checked map sensors and idle air control had to deal with the idle? or did that get trouble shot wrong? you opinion is greatly welcomed
Old 06-13-2009, 07:51 AM
Registered Member

sbdunkz757 sbdunkz757 sbdunkz757 sbdunkz757 sbdunkz757

i kinda had the same problem with my integra, check out your alternator, thats what solved my problem.