Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Hydrolocked?

Old 09-01-2006, 02:21 PM
7FIVE7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jstabb1 can only hope to improve
Default Hydrolocked?

I figured being the rain many people would have the same question so why not. I attemped to move my car about 100 feet from the street to the driveway so it wouldn't sit in the floods. I got about 85 feet and the car died. It doesn't crank or attemp to start it justs clicks i believe once. I don't want to keep trying to start it if it is hydrolocked. How would i know for sure, and how do i try to unlock it. I have a stock air box and the water was pretty much the the bottom of my front bumber when i moved it.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:29 PM
Asshole Supreme

S dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hydrolocked?

You don't "unlock" it. With the water only being to the bottom of your bumper I wouldn't think that you would have an issue unless your tailpipe was submerged. It might just be a coincidence.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:29 PM
import mechanic

sucio7 has disabled reputation

turn the crankshaft with a wrench by hand
at least 3 times complete rotation
Old 09-01-2006, 02:46 PM
7FIVE7

I was told that if if sounds like the start is bad and it may be hydrolocked that you could remove the spark plugs and start it but somthing about the oil being drained or what not.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:47 PM
psycho jungle cat

Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift

Very possible your starter and yea, just a coincidence.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:57 PM
7FIVE7

Well i dont think it just died out of nowhere unless theres water damage somewhere. It started up fine and hasn't shown problems recently.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

krazdracer has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by jstabb1
Well i dont think it just died out of nowhere unless theres water damage somewhere. It started up fine and hasn't shown problems recently.
if you remove your plugs and it doesn't start its electrical.. to rule out your starter just jump it with jumper cables ...pos on lead. neg on chassis. It can't be water through your exhasut because you ran it(would of blew it all out) and because water level wasn't above the manifold. The clicking noise might just be the relay.....Weak battery??????
Old 09-01-2006, 03:44 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

It will still try to turn over when it's hydrolocked, you have an electrical problem. All that water may have drained the battery if the water reached something electrical that was exposed. It's also possible that you blew a fuse from water intrusion.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:35 PM
hype-r

Boost609 has a reputation beyond reputeBoost609 has a reputation beyond reputeBoost609 has a reputation beyond reputeBoost609 has a reputation beyond reputeBoost609 has a reputation beyond reputeBoost609 has a reputation beyond reputeBoost609 has a reputation beyond reputeBoost609 has a reputation beyond reputeBoost609 has a reputation beyond reputeBoost609 has a reputation beyond reputeBoost609 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krazdracer
if you remove your plugs and it doesn't start its electrical.. to rule out your starter just jump it with jumper cables ...pos on lead. neg on chassis. It can't be water through your exhasut because you ran it(would of blew it all out) and because water level wasn't above the manifold. The clicking noise might just be the relay.....Weak battery??????
Some of the shit you just said made no sense. Obviously it started when he went out there in the first place, so you can rule out a battery. Chances are slim that you fried the starter, but is possible. Pull out your spark plugs and look in the cylinders for water, and make sure you let everything dry before you start messing around. Try to spin the crank manually, but my guess is a locked motor. I hate it when people that haave no idea what they are talking about post in tech talk. Best of luck.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:38 PM
hype-r

Boost609 has a reputation beyond reputeBoost609 has a reputation beyond reputeBoost609 has a reputation beyond reputeBoost609 has a reputation beyond reputeBoost609 has a reputation beyond reputeBoost609 has a reputation beyond reputeBoost609 has a reputation beyond reputeBoost609 has a reputation beyond reputeBoost609 has a reputation beyond reputeBoost609 has a reputation beyond reputeBoost609 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
It will still try to turn over when it's hydrolocked, you have an electrical problem. All that water may have drained the battery if the water reached something electrical that was exposed. It's also possible that you blew a fuse from water intrusion.
How will a motor who's cylinders are jammed full of water still try to crank? WATER = NOT COMPRESSABLE

Quick Reply: Hydrolocked?