Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

is it a huge pain to install an aftermarket steering wheel?

Old 09-05-2005, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IRR0MPIBLE has disabled reputation
Default is it a huge pain to install an aftermarket steering wheel?

i just bought a momo wheel and hub for my 94 integra and i'm not sure if you need something to disable the airbag on the stock wheel to take it off or what else is involved...
Old 09-05-2005, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

00CivicGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: is it a huge pain to install an aftermarket steering wheel?

u need a hub to fit the wheel and you will have to disable your airbag by disconnecting the SRS sytem...then you have to wire a horn which i have yet to figure out b/c the horn wire is in teh clock spring unit with the SRS stuff
Old 09-05-2005, 05:37 PM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

TPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the rough

When did you get an Integra? I thought you had an 01+ Civic? Sorry, I'm no help, only car's I've ever installed an aftermarket wheel in didn't come with airbags originally.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:00 PM
DAAAANG & OHDAANG

MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch

i put a wheel on my EG that had an airbag, it was a pain in the ass at first but simple once youve done it. i would assume its the same on an EG being that the chassis is the same.

i didnt unplug anything with the airbag, just disconnected the battery. there are two caps on the left and right that you have to remove. there just plastic panels. behind them are a couple screws with a STAR pattern. i dont know if they have a name but its not a flat head or phillips, its a star. anyhow, when you take them off the center of the wheel where the airbag is will slide out. pretty much the whole center just come out of the wheel. then there is the big nut in the middle. just take that off and your good. there are a few plugs that you need to disconnect for the airbag when you first remove the center but its easy to understand. good luck.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 00CivicGirl
u need a hub to fit the wheel and you will have to disable your airbag by disconnecting the SRS sytem...then you have to wire a horn which i have yet to figure out b/c the horn wire is in teh clock spring unit with the SRS stuff
i bought the hub at the sametime i got the wheel. thanks for your input....

Originally Posted by TPJ
When did you get an Integra? I thought you had an 01+ Civic? Sorry, I'm no help, only car's I've ever installed an aftermarket wheel in didn't come with airbags originally.
i just got it about a week and a half ago...i said fuck the civic because the k swap is too much money and i can't afford another ITR so i'm gonna build one...

Originally Posted by MattnTheHATch
i put a wheel on my EG that had an airbag, it was a pain in the ass at first but simple once youve done it. i would assume its the same on an EG being that the chassis is the same.

i didnt unplug anything with the airbag, just disconnected the battery. there are two caps on the left and right that you have to remove. there just plastic panels. behind them are a couple screws with a STAR pattern. i dont know if they have a name but its not a flat head or phillips, its a star. anyhow, when you take them off the center of the wheel where the airbag is will slide out. pretty much the whole center just come out of the wheel. then there is the big nut in the middle. just take that off and your good. there are a few plugs that you need to disconnect for the airbag when you first remove the center but its easy to understand. good luck.
i'm gonna fuck with it and see if i can't figure it out. thanks for the input
Old 09-05-2005, 06:14 PM
NUMBER4

fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish

its pretty much self explanitory. the only pain in the ass might be getting the old wheel off the column. just pull out the 7.5 back up fuse out before you start messing with the srs. and yeah, like someone stated above, wiring the horn up is a little difficult, i have still not done it.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:03 AM
Needs a fast car now

NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET

I installed mine in 20 minutes.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:23 PM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

Disconnect the battery for extra security. It is pretty simple once you see everything.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:59 AM
Registered Member

sprack is on a distinguished road

make sure you let the car sit for a little while too after you disconnect the battery....let the reserve capacitors discharge for the air bags
Old 09-07-2005, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the info everyone...

Quick Reply: is it a huge pain to install an aftermarket steering wheel?